none
Need help figuring how to track DVD drive usage RRS feed

• Question

• I work at a public library and need to track how often the DVD drives are used by our patrons.  Is there some count somewhere of how many times the drive is accessed?  The only other way I can think of to do this is to run a script that will check if any files exist at E:\ and then sleep for 1 minute and check again. Then, create a log in a central location that the script can update if the file exists. 

Anyone able to come up with a better idea?  I would really appreciate any input.

Thanks

Tamara

• Edited by TamaraB88 Wednesday, June 11, 2014 4:27 PM
    Wednesday, June 11, 2014 4:27 PM

Answers

• Are you a technician or just a user?  Are you trained in Windows?

Most library computers are "locked down" and cannot be altered.  This is for security reasons.  You cannot add a script as it will just be deleted or will not run.

There is no log of this although the event log tracks all mounts.  If you have access to WMI or the event log you can collect the mount records and count them.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

• Marked as answer by TamaraB88 Wednesday, June 11, 2014 5:23 PM
    Wednesday, June 11, 2014 4:55 PM

All replies

• Are you a technician or just a user?  Are you trained in Windows?

Most library computers are "locked down" and cannot be altered.  This is for security reasons.  You cannot add a script as it will just be deleted or will not run.

There is no log of this although the event log tracks all mounts.  If you have access to WMI or the event log you can collect the mount records and count them.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

• Marked as answer by TamaraB88 Wednesday, June 11, 2014 5:23 PM
    Wednesday, June 11, 2014 4:55 PM
  • Yes, I am a technician.  I work at the library that I am attempting to collect this usage info from.  I just need to know how often our patrons use the drives because we may not offer the drives in the future and I would like to track a couple months of usage to determine how this will affect the patrons. 

Yes, the PCs are very locked down, but since I am the one that locked them down, I can get the script to run.

Thanks for the info about the event log.  I will work on a script to filter those events.  Seems like that would give me my answer!

Thanks again for the help!

Tamara

Wednesday, June 11, 2014 5:23 PM
  • On Windows 8 and later you have to enable auditing.

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/jj574128.aspx

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Wednesday, June 11, 2014 6:34 PM