Flowing a "last updated" timestamp leaves the object in a continual export state RRS feed

• Question

• Hi all,

I have a client who wants the "description" attribute in Active Directory to updated with a timestamp everytime updates occur to the AD user through ILM.  I've currently have it configured as an Advanced Export Attribute Flow, and it works fine.  However, afer performing the delta import/sync to confirm the export, the "Description" attribute is update with the timestamp and the object is marked for export.  Obviously this is not the intent.  Any suggestions on working around this?  Is it possible to determine during the advanced attribute flow if any other attributes have changed and if not, simply not update the timestamp in the "Description"?

Thanks,

Marc Mac Donell, Senior Consultant (Identity Assurance), Avaleris Inc.
    Monday, April 27, 2009 2:16 AM

Answers

• Marc,

Could you post the code piece of the advanced export flow on the description attribute?

Just a check, do you need the attribute (timestamp) updated, whenever one of the attributes is changed?

And also, in this post the topic ("Add timestamp to description field whenever and object is updated") is discussed with some important remarks.

Kind regards,
    Peter

Peter Geelen - Sr. Consultant IDA (http://www.traxion.com)
    Monday, April 27, 2009 6:36 AM

All replies

• Marc,

Could you post the code piece of the advanced export flow on the description attribute?

Just a check, do you need the attribute (timestamp) updated, whenever one of the attributes is changed?

And also, in this post the topic ("Add timestamp to description field whenever and object is updated") is discussed with some important remarks.

Kind regards,
    Peter

Peter Geelen - Sr. Consultant IDA (http://www.traxion.com)
    Monday, April 27, 2009 6:36 AM
  • Hi Peter,

I had a look at that post, some good remarks in there.  What I would like to do is set the "description" attribute in AD to a value that contains the current date, if there were changes to the object from another source. 

Here's the EAF code I have for the AD MA:

if (mvEntry["grade"].IsPresent)
                            {
                                csEntry["description"].Value = String.Format(CultureInfo.CurrentCulture,
                                    "Grade {0} ({1:G})", mvEntry["grade"].Value, DateTime.Now);
                            }

The attribute flow for "description" is defined as an advanced export flow, using the "grade" attribute from the MV object.

If I run a full sync, the "description" value gets changed, and the object is flagged for export, which I don't want to happen.  Is this possible? Am I just missing some configuration?

Thanks,

Marc

Monday, April 27, 2009 2:04 PM
  • One thing to watch out here that is not posted in the thread..

If you have manual precedence set on an attribute a full sync will trigger a change on that attribute..

A pretty easy way to do it is... 

Use the contribution time like in the tread...

Set every attribute in the mv that you want to use for a source... in an advanced flow... caculate the time on each one.. and flow it to the export attribute... Then on further syncs... always check what the export is then calculate the metaverse values.. if there newer then flow over..

Not very hard to do.. but do test.. You should also be able to run delta syncs...

Another thing to watch out for is missing attribute in the metaverse... if the metaverse attribute is deleted.. so does the contribution time.. just one thing to take into consideration...

HTH,

Joe
    Joe Stepongzi - Identity Management Consultant - ILM MVP - www.microsoftIdM.com,ilmXframework.codeplex.com
    Monday, April 27, 2009 2:07 PM
  • Peter and Joe,

Thanks for the lead and your thoughts.  I resolved the issue by flowing the attributes that mattered into my advanced "description" EAF and then evaluating each attribute's LastContributionDate, noting the latest datetime and using that value for my "description" value.  If the object, more specifically the attributes I'm evaluating, doesn't change, the "description" doesn't change, which is exactly what I wanted.

Many thanks!

Marc
    Monday, April 27, 2009 2:37 PM