none
Actual Start End is earlier than Baseline End date RRS feed

• Question

• hello,

In Project 2016, A Milestone is completed a week earlier than planned .

i:e I have to update the actual start and end date as 3/1 - 3/2 versus 3/6 - 3/7 like it was earlier planned.

The project is changing the baseline date to reflect the change - I have saved the baseline.

how can i update the actual start and end date and not affect the planned start and end date ?

thank you,

Kavitha

Monday, March 5, 2018 6:55 AM

Answers

• Hi,

The baseline should not change. You have planned a first expected schedule and saved it as a baseline. Then if the milestone is completed earlier than initially planned, you'll just change the actual dates and dates, but not the baseline.

Hope this helps,

Guillaume Rouyre, MBA, MVP, P-Seller

Monday, March 5, 2018 9:32 AM
  • Kavitha K P,

In addition to Guillaume's response I think a little clarification may be in order. It seems you are interchanging "baseline" with "planned" and they are two separate items.

When you first develop a schedule and are ready to start executing it, you need to save a baseline (i.e. Project > schedule group > set baseline). That copies several Project fields into a separate set of baseline fields (e.g. Baseline Start, Baseline Duration, etc.). Those baseline fields can be used later to compare with the current schedule to see how the plan is doing compared to the original plan.

As you execute the plan and enter actual values (e.g. actual start), if the actual values are different from the scheduled values Project automatically updates the current plan to reflect reality. In other words, the current plan is dynamic, it is automatically updated.

Hope this helps.

John

Monday, March 5, 2018 2:23 PM
  • Kavitha,

The short answer, no.

As I said, the current plan is dynamic. As it is executed, entered data (actual values) are used to update the plan to reflect what is really happening. For example, let's say a task is scheduled to start on Monday with a duration of 10 days. For whatever reason the task doesn't get started until Tuesday so you enter Tuesday"s date into the Actual Start field. That will do two things, first it will update the Start field to the same data as the actual start and two, assuming the duration is still 10 days, will move the scheduled finish date out by one working day.

Since a baseline was saved, you want the current plan to reflect what is really happening and Project does that for you automatically.

Hope this helps.

John

Tuesday, March 6, 2018 2:02 PM

All replies

• Hi,

The baseline should not change. You have planned a first expected schedule and saved it as a baseline. Then if the milestone is completed earlier than initially planned, you'll just change the actual dates and dates, but not the baseline.

Hope this helps,

Guillaume Rouyre, MBA, MVP, P-Seller

Monday, March 5, 2018 9:32 AM
  • Kavitha K P,

In addition to Guillaume's response I think a little clarification may be in order. It seems you are interchanging "baseline" with "planned" and they are two separate items.

When you first develop a schedule and are ready to start executing it, you need to save a baseline (i.e. Project > schedule group > set baseline). That copies several Project fields into a separate set of baseline fields (e.g. Baseline Start, Baseline Duration, etc.). Those baseline fields can be used later to compare with the current schedule to see how the plan is doing compared to the original plan.

As you execute the plan and enter actual values (e.g. actual start), if the actual values are different from the scheduled values Project automatically updates the current plan to reflect reality. In other words, the current plan is dynamic, it is automatically updated.

Hope this helps.

John

Monday, March 5, 2018 2:23 PM
  • hi Guillaume, John,

Thank you for responding.

I have saved the baseline (Project > Sch group > Set baseline).

While I am updating the activities to reflect actual start and end date, it is changing the planned start and end date.

Can i prevent this ?

thank you,

Kavitha

Tuesday, March 6, 2018 12:45 PM
  • Kavitha,

The short answer, no.

As I said, the current plan is dynamic. As it is executed, entered data (actual values) are used to update the plan to reflect what is really happening. For example, let's say a task is scheduled to start on Monday with a duration of 10 days. For whatever reason the task doesn't get started until Tuesday so you enter Tuesday"s date into the Actual Start field. That will do two things, first it will update the Start field to the same data as the actual start and two, assuming the duration is still 10 days, will move the scheduled finish date out by one working day.

Since a baseline was saved, you want the current plan to reflect what is really happening and Project does that for you automatically.

Hope this helps.

John

Tuesday, March 6, 2018 2:02 PM
  • Thank you John!
    Tuesday, March 6, 2018 3:23 PM
  • Kavitha,

You're welcome and thanks for the feedback.

John

Tuesday, March 6, 2018 4:22 PM