Is there a limit to the number of folders XP can see over the network? RRS feed

• Question

• I have a Windows 7 x64 computer running with a bunch of shared folders. One folder is mp3's. My other Win 7 and Vista machines can see all the shares just fine. The XP SP 3 machine will only see the folders up to a certain amount. For instance the "Rock-Pop" folder on the Win 7 share has 400 folders in it. When I connect to it from XP it shows 300 of them and stops. The folders are in alphabetical order and they cut off after "t". The smaller folders I can see all the files just when the folders have over a certain amount of files or folders in them it starts to cut them off. Again, the other Win7 and Vista machines can see all the folders and files no problem.

This is NOT a permission or visibility or security issue, I have checked all that. It has nothing to do with that. If I temporarily remove a hundred folders from the beginning of the share folder, the XP machine can then see them all, including the ones that start with "t" and above. It is clearly an issue with the amount of files/folders in the share.

So does XP have some limit placed on it for the number of folders/files it can see in a network folder??

Wednesday, June 29, 2011 2:44 PM

All replies

• OK I figured it out. It was Avast antivirus causing it and it is a known problem with them. So disregard this question
    Wednesday, June 29, 2011 8:53 PM