none
USMT in a mixed user environment RRS feed

• Question

• We are moving systems from a Novel network to an AD network.  We are migrating XP to Win7 for the most part.  the XP systems are NOT on the AD domain.  

On my XP systems, we have some local users.  Say 'oldmachine\Fred' is the login.  for some of my accounts, we have created a Fred login on the domain, so in AD we have domain\Fred.  But not all of them.  We want to push users to use domain accounts as much as possible, so for those accounts we can use the /MU option and rename those accounts with the domain\Fred name. 

My challenge is an XP machine with both oldmachine\Fred and oldmachine\Wilma.  I'm trying to figure out a way to script scan/load state commands so that we backup both Fred and Wilma accounts.  When we restore, it tries to restore both as domain\Fred and Domain\Wilma, but since Wilma is not in the domain, we want a local account recreated for Wilma, so NewMachine\Wilma.  

Anyone have any ideas on how this might be done?  

Thanks

Wednesday, April 15, 2015 3:55 PM

All replies

• Could you not write a procedure in the script to do an AD lookup for the username being restored, if there is an account the new user domain is equal to the AD domain and if there isn't an account the new domain is equal to your Computer name.

Hope that makes sense?

Adam

Thursday, April 16, 2015 10:29 AM