Outlook on SBS 2011 RRS feed

Answers

• Reading later in that manual, check out the restore info starting at the bottom of page 270.  It appears that the restores create PSTs which you then access with Outlook to move items back to the mailbox or whatever.  That would not require Outlook to be installed on the server - you'd just copy the PST to your client PC and use Outlook from there.

I'm pretty sure installing Outlook on the server won't be the disaster it was in the old days, and I agree with the last sentence in IbanezWiz's reply.  Still I wouldn't want to consume an Outlook license for this purpose if I didn't have to, and it looks to me like you don't.

Dave Nickason - SBS MVP
    • Marked as answer by awadsworth Friday, September 9, 2011 12:38 PM
    Thursday, September 8, 2011 11:39 PM

All replies

• Interesting situation I am in.  I am installing Symantec System Recovery 201111 for SBS on my SBS 2011. System Recovery  has a neat option called Grannular Restore Option.  This works with Exchange and allows one to restore mailbox folders and even  a single email message.  I am reading the admin guide and  on page 25 it says that that you must have Microsoft Outlook installed in order to use the feature.  I remember from SBS 2003 that it was almost a sin to install Outlook on the server.  Is that still the case for SBS 2011?  Link to Users guide is

http://www.symantec.com/business/support/index?page=answerlink&url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.symantec.com%2Fbusiness%2Fsupport%2Fresources%2Fsites%2FBUSINESS%2Fcontent%2Fstaging%2FTECHNICAL_SOLUTION%2F158000%2FTECH158390%2Fen_US%2F2.0%2FSSR11_UserGuide.pdf&answerid=16777216&searchid=1315516540256

Thanks,

Allen

I will get blasted for this but I have Outlook 2010 installed on SBS 2011 with five different email accounts added to it. Yes, it creates a credential problem and I found out how to solve it. If you're only entering in the default account it will work with no problem.

Now having said that, you should not use SBS in this manner. Is it your server to do what you want with it? You make the call.

Thursday, September 8, 2011 9:32 PM
  • Reading later in that manual, check out the restore info starting at the bottom of page 270.  It appears that the restores create PSTs which you then access with Outlook to move items back to the mailbox or whatever.  That would not require Outlook to be installed on the server - you'd just copy the PST to your client PC and use Outlook from there.

I'm pretty sure installing Outlook on the server won't be the disaster it was in the old days, and I agree with the last sentence in IbanezWiz's reply.  Still I wouldn't want to consume an Outlook license for this purpose if I didn't have to, and it looks to me like you don't.

Dave Nickason - SBS MVP
    • Marked as answer by awadsworth Friday, September 9, 2011 12:38 PM
    Thursday, September 8, 2011 11:39 PM