none
info about setting up a guest cluster in 2016 hyperv

Question

• Hi.

I try to find some information about setting up guest cluster using the new vhds format in hyper 2016.

i cant find any official info about which scenarios thats supported and howto actually set it up.

the feature im after is to be able to expand clustered disk online in a w2k12 r2 guest cluster is that even supported seen blogs that says no.

/regards Jorgen

Wednesday, February 1, 2017 7:01 AM

Answers

• Hi Jorgen,

>>Is it even supported to run a windows 2012 R2 guest cluster on a hyperv-v 2016 cluster using the new shared disk option which would enable online expansion of the clusterd disks and host level backups?   

As far as I know, it is supported.

>>then i tried to backup it up using host level backup in dpm 2016 but that failed

But I'm not sure if this scenario is supported by DPM 2016, you may post in DPM forum for more details.

Best Regards,

Leo

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Thursday, February 2, 2017 1:42 AM

All replies

• Hi Jorgen,

What issues did you get during your deployment?

As far as I know, vhds is supported with guest cluster.

https://blog.workinghardinit.work/2016/02/09/shared-vhdx-windows-2016-vhds-backing-storage-file/

Best Regards,

Leo

If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Wednesday, February 1, 2017 8:33 AM
  • well actually i started setting up a new windows 2012 r2 guest cluster using the new vhd set method and i had no problem setting up the cluster then i tried to backup it up using host level backup in dpm 2016 but that failed which got me looking for info about this and then i found a couple of blogs saying you needed to upgrade the guests to 2016 also and also some configuration in the hyperv cluster.

So my question would be. Is it even supported to run a windows 2012 R2 guest cluster on a hyperv-v 2016 cluster using the new shared disk option which would enable online expansion of the clusterd disks and host level backups?

/regards Jorgen

Wednesday, February 1, 2017 11:13 AM
  • Hi Jorgen,

>>Is it even supported to run a windows 2012 R2 guest cluster on a hyperv-v 2016 cluster using the new shared disk option which would enable online expansion of the clusterd disks and host level backups?   

As far as I know, it is supported.

>>then i tried to backup it up using host level backup in dpm 2016 but that failed

But I'm not sure if this scenario is supported by DPM 2016, you may post in DPM forum for more details.

Best Regards,

Leo

Thursday, February 2, 2017 1:42 AM
  • thx it makes sense that it should work. and technically it works.

regarding hostlevel backups its another story but i can always use agent backups.

/regards Jorgen

Friday, February 3, 2017 11:36 AM