none
Upgrade of Protected Server RRS feed

• Question

• Hello Everyone,

I'm hoping someone will have some insight into my situation.

My DPM 2012 SP1 server backs up a large number of Windows Server 2003 DC VM's that are also file servers in 24 physical locations.  I am currently working on a project to upgrade these 24 DC's to Server 2012.  Obviously I cannot do an inplace upgrade from 2k3 to 2k12 so a fresh install will be necessary.

In the past I have created a new vm and installed the new OS and done all the dcpromo stuff to get a new 2k8 VM to be a DC and the old 2k3 VM to not be.  Once that is done I detach the DATA VHD from the 2k3 VM and attach the DATA VHD to the 2k8 VM.  At that point I recreate the shares on the 2k8 server and decommission the 2k3 server.  The problem with this is that I have to then protect the "new" server again and cannot reuse the old replica from the 2k3. 

This becomes a large issue since the replica space required to maintain the 2 replica sets for each of the 24 sites is not possible as I do not have the free space available for DPM to do this.  I would have to wait for 12 weeks to maintain Recovery Points before I can remove the old replicas.

It there a way to have DPM use the replica of the DATA drive (E:) from the old 2k3 server for the DATA drive on the new 2k12 server.  The 2k12 server is a replacement for the 2k3 server and would be the same name.

Thanks,

Patrick

• Edited by pfitchie Tuesday, November 5, 2013 9:00 PM
    Tuesday, November 5, 2013 8:59 PM

Answers