proactive caching for MOLAP RRS feed

• Question

• Is proactive caching used for a cube in MOLAP mode? If yes, how does it help?

From what I have read it is useful to know when to process the the cube if data is changed on the relational data source. Going by that information, it looks like it is only used for ROLAP and HOLAP modes not for the MOLAP mode. Does that sound right?

Your opinions are appreciated.

Thank You.

Wednesday, February 28, 2018 10:09 PM

Answers

• Hi kvd123,

Thanks for your response.

>>>If so, which is better - processing cube or enabling proactive caching?
    I would suggest the option "processing cube", as proactive caching will consume more system and network resources than processing cube. If the undelying data in the warehouse does not change so frequently, I will definitly choose "processing cube". Even if the undelying data in the warehouse does change frequently, we can still increase the frequency of "processing cube" to keep the cubes up to date.

Best Regards
    Willson Yuan
    MSDN Community Support
    Please remember to click "Mark as Answer" the responses that resolved your issue, and to click "Unmark as Answer" if not. This can be beneficial to other community members reading this thread. If you have any compliments or complaints to MSDN Support, feel free to contact MSDNFSF@microsoft.com

• Marked as answer by kvd123 Friday, March 2, 2018 12:46 PM
    Friday, March 2, 2018 7:59 AM

All replies

• Hi kvd123,

Thanks for your question.

>>>Is proactive caching used for a cube in MOLAP mode?
    Yes, proactive caching can be used for a cube in MOLAP mode. See below image:

>>>If yes, how does it help?
    Just like ROLAP and HOLAP, proactive caching is used to keep the cubes up to date as the data in the underlying database changes frequently.Proactive caching provides automatic MOLAP cache creation and management for OLAP objects. The cubes immediately incorporate changes that are made to the data in the database, based upon notifications received from the database. If you will process the cube periodically to keep the data up to date that you can accept, then it is not necessary to enable proactive caching.

To implement proactive caching in SSAS, please refer to below blog:
    https://www.mssqltips.com/sqlservertip/1563/how-to-implement-proactive-caching-in-sql-server-analysis-services-ssas/

Best Regards
    Willson Yuan
    MSDN Community Support
    Please remember to click "Mark as Answer" the responses that resolved your issue, and to click "Unmark as Answer" if not. This can be beneficial to other community members reading this thread. If you have any compliments or complaints to MSDN Support, feel free to contact MSDNFSF@microsoft.com

Thursday, March 1, 2018 7:34 AM
  • Thank You Willson for your prompt reply.

Does that mean if I enable proactive caching on MOLAP mode, I do not have to process cube after each data load?
    If so, which is better - processing cube or enabling proactive caching?

Thanks again.

Thursday, March 1, 2018 1:11 PM
  • Hi kvd123,

Thanks for your response.

>>>If so, which is better - processing cube or enabling proactive caching?
    I would suggest the option "processing cube", as proactive caching will consume more system and network resources than processing cube. If the undelying data in the warehouse does not change so frequently, I will definitly choose "processing cube". Even if the undelying data in the warehouse does change frequently, we can still increase the frequency of "processing cube" to keep the cubes up to date.

Best Regards
    Willson Yuan
    MSDN Community Support

• Marked as answer by kvd123 Friday, March 2, 2018 12:46 PM
    Friday, March 2, 2018 7:59 AM