Exchange Server setup with No-Ip RRS feed

• Question

• I have a setup of Exchange Server 2016 in Hybrid Env. Now to receive emails in receive connectors to the Exchange On-Prem server can we set it up with No-IP ddns. I don't have a public ip address so that's why I am trying to configure with ddns

For transport routing, I want all of my emails first go to the cloud and then they should go to on-prem so I turned on the internal relay for that. Now the main problem is receiving connector.
    Thursday, March 21, 2019 2:59 PM

All replies

• Hi,

As far as I know, Exchange doesn't support it. In this scene, how does the mail know where to deliver? We should use an static IP for it.

Regards,

Kyle Xu

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they helped. If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnsf@microsoft.com.

Click here to learn more. Visit the dedicated forum to share, explore and talk to experts about Microsoft Teams.

Friday, March 22, 2019 7:22 AM
  • Sorry for late reply, I didn't get any email notification that you answered so I was not aware.

That's how ddns works as static IP, We can get a static hostname <name.ddns.net anything like this> and then we can download the client of ddns and then it will bind our IP address to that hostname and then that hostname works as our static IP address. And we can use it to locate our pc or server over the web that's why I asked how can I troubleshoot it further or if you want to troubleshoot it together then I can share the remote and we both can find some new things.

And for mail know where to deliver we can then add that hostname in O365 Routes to On-prem and in the end, it's the same thing you are giving a hostname or IP address on the place of smart host. See if you can find something over it. Rarely people gonna do it but as a TA I always try new things so I am still trying to find the answer for it.

I will wait for your answer over it @Kyle.Xu
    Thursday, March 28, 2019 10:49 AM
  • Here are some tips:

https://practical365.com/exchange-server/exchange-server-dynamic-public-ip-address/

Note that this isnt an Exchange issue per se, so your kinda on your own if you want to use a dynamic IP

Thursday, March 28, 2019 11:16 AM
  • Thanks for the Article Andy just read it, to avoid these situations I am using <g class="gr_ gr_37 gr-alert gr_spell gr_inline_cards gr_run_anim ContextualSpelling" data-gr-id="37" id="37">ddns</g> and that's why people use it. Check No-<g class="gr_ gr_80 gr-alert gr_spell gr_inline_cards gr_run_anim ContextualSpelling ins-del multiReplace" data-gr-id="80" id="80">ip</g> and other <g class="gr_ gr_81 gr-alert gr_spell gr_inline_cards gr_run_anim ContextualSpelling" data-gr-id="81" id="81">ddns</g> once and see how it works. It's not an issue for me as well just trying to learn and trying to do diff. stuff you never know when you gonna see this kind of env. or a company want to set it up with <g class="gr_ gr_581 gr-alert gr_spell gr_inline_cards gr_run_anim ContextualSpelling" data-gr-id="581" id="581">ddns</g>. So trying to find a solution, you should try it in your lab.

"DDNS is <g class="gr_ gr_821 gr-alert gr_gramm gr_inline_cards gr_run_anim Grammar only-ins replaceWithoutSep" data-gr-id="821" id="821">same</g> as static IP". It will not be dynamic.
    Thursday, March 28, 2019 12:49 PM
  • Sorry for Grammerly html addins it added automatically by default
    Thursday, March 28, 2019 12:51 PM
  • anyone found something over it ?
    Thursday, March 28, 2019 9:22 PM
    Im not sure what you are looking for actually? Whats the question?
    Thursday, March 28, 2019 10:21 PM

I don't have static ip so I can't forward the ports and I want to configure Hybrid environment for that from O365 to  on-prem outbound connector I am using  No-ip ddns host in connector and then have client of ddns to patch my ip with that host name for on-prem mx server so hope everything is clear. Let me know if you want to know something as well.
    Sunday, March 31, 2019 12:14 PM

I don't have static ip so I can't forward the ports and I want to configure Hybrid environment for that from O365 to  on-prem outbound connector I am using  No-ip ddns host in connector and then have client of ddns to patch my ip with that host name for on-prem mx server so hope everything is clear. Let me know if you want to know something as well.
    Ok, well that is probably not something I would recommend in a production environment. This isnt an Exchange issue as I mentioned. 
    Sunday, March 31, 2019 12:27 PM

Ok, well that is probably not something I would recommend in a production environment. This isnt an Exchange issue as I mentioned. 
    That is not Exchange Issue but there is a possibility that you can see this kinda environment in a small organization. And as a consultant if they are approaching you and they want to change that you have to support them. You never know when you gonna see that. So just see if you can help or can give any ideas.
    Monday, April 1, 2019 6:58 AM

And these are all my private hybrid deployments in diff. scenarios
    Monday, April 1, 2019 6:59 AM
  • Exchange provides service URLs to be used by external users, about how to solve it is decided by ISP configuration.

I would suggest you confirm with ISP, they may provide a professional solution to you. 

Regards,

Kyle Xu

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they helped. If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnsf@microsoft.com.

Click here to learn more. Visit the dedicated forum to share, explore and talk to experts about Microsoft Teams.

Wednesday, April 3, 2019 7:23 AM
  • Exchange provides service URLs to be used by external users, about how to solve it is decided by ISP configuration.

I would suggest you confirm with ISP, they may provide a professional solution to you. 

Regards,

Kyle Xu

It seems you are not getting what I am trying to do and how I am opening ports, the way which I am using ISP's can't interfere, that's why I told earlier before trying to provide solution just check how Dynamic DNS works and how we can use it then you can provide a better solution I think. And for you all the ports and everything is open.

The host which I am using in Outbound Connector is

sidcysece.ddns.net

and this has been bind with my IP Address.

telnet 36.255.87.50 25
    Trying 36.255.87.50...
    Connected to 36.255.87.50.

telnet 36.255.87.50 443
    Trying 36.255.87.50...
    Connected to 36.255.87.50.

Let me know if you find something and need something else to know.

Wednesday, April 3, 2019 9:07 AM
  • I found the problem. After certificate it was the same problem. I did netmon traces but didn’t found anything suspicious in the logs as well. I was going for procmon on hybrid agent but went lazy in that. So i was confused again. I randomly did a check once again with telnet to see the ports 25 and 443 both were connected but after after sometime both connections got terminated by saying Connection closed by foreign host and Soc error. Then I randomly tried doing port scan over other ports 3678,21,389 all were open but services were not running. Then I did a nmap scan over host and found these ports are open but filtered. With No-IP I was able to open ports but ISP is still creating interference in the connection somehow. So now my next bet is to try peer to peer VPN to open ports via UpNp then I’ll see if ports are staying open or not. I think that’s how free/busy was working ports are working for a small time and then termination.
    Thursday, April 11, 2019 5:47 PM