Install Error with Exchange 2016 CU6 on Server 2016 Standard RRS feed

• Question

• Hi All,

Was wondering if anyone can help/point me in the right direction...  I'm currently having issues with the installation of Exchange 2016 on Server 2016 (with the Desktop experience).  We have a current Exchange 2010 infrastructure.

I have done the following commands:

setup.exe /PrepareSchema /IAcceptExchangeServerLicenseTerms  

setup.exe /PrepareAD /IAcceptExchangeServerLicenseTerms  

setup.exe /PrepareDomain /IAcceptExchangeServerLicenseTerms  

Then

setup.exe /Mode:Install /Roles:Mailbox   /IAcceptExchangeServerLicenseTerms

However it fails with the following error:

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Error: The following error was generated when "$error.Clear(); if ( ($server -eq $null) -and ($RoleIsDatacenter -ne $true) )
              {
                Update-RmsSharedIdentity -ServerName $RoleNetBIOSName
              }
            " was run: "Microsoft.Exchange.Data.DataValidationException: You can't leave the EmailAddresses parameter value empty.
       at Microsoft.Exchange.Data.Directory.ADDataSession.Save(ADObject instanceToSave, IEnumerable`1 properties, Boolean bypassValidation)
       at Microsoft.Exchange.Data.Directory.Recipient.ADRecipientObjectSession.Save(ADRecipient instanceToSave, String callerFilePath, Int32 callerFileLine, String memberName)
       at Microsoft.Exchange.Management.Deployment.UpdateRmsSharedIdentity.Link()
       at Microsoft.Exchange.Management.Deployment.UpdateRmsSharedIdentity.InternalProcessRecord()
       at Microsoft.Exchange.Configuration.Tasks.Task.<ProcessRecord>b__b()
       at Microsoft.Exchange.Configuration.Tasks.Task.InvokeRetryableFunc(String funcName, Action func, Boolean terminatePipelineIfFailed)".

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I've tried restarting and restalling (both via the cmd and the GUI), but it keeps on failing.

Any assistance would be greatly appreciated :)

Thanks

-Ken 

-Ken | http://ken.wagnerfamily.co.uk

• Edited by KitKatNinja Tuesday, August 22, 2017 11:08 AM
    Tuesday, August 22, 2017 8:59 AM

Answers

• OK, found the Exchange Setup log file here: C:\ExchangeSetupLogs\ExchangeSetup.txt

Scrolled to the bottom and it showed which account was causing the error (see attached), I've crossed out site specific info (eg server and domain names) and have highlighted the relevant parts.

Following the guidance from this page: https://support.microsoft.com/en-gb/help/978776/when-you-try-to-install-the-exchange-server-2010-mailbox-role-the-inst

I removed the FederatedEmail.4c1f4d8b-8179-4148-93bf-00a95fa1e042 e-mail account by using the ADSIEDIT tool. To do this, follow these steps:
    a.Click Start, click
    Run, type adsiedit.msc, and then click
    OK.
    b.Locate the Default Naming Context node, and then locate to the CN=Users container.
    c.Locate and then right-click the CN=FederatedEmail.4c1f4d8b-8179-4148-93bf-00a95fa1e042 container. Then, click Delete.

Then recreated it by typing the following into Exchange 2010 Powershell:
    New-Mailbox -Arbitration -Name FederatedEmail.4c1f4d8b-8179-4148-93bf-00a95fa1e042 -UserPrincipalName FederatedEmail.4c1f4d8b-8179-4148-93bf-00a95fa1e042@<Default_Accepted_Domain>

The installation has now moved on from Step 6 of the installation of Exchange 2016 (to co-exist with Exchange 2010).

If there are any further errors, I will post a new thread.

• Marked as answer by KitKatNinja Tuesday, August 22, 2017 1:59 PM
    Tuesday, August 22, 2017 1:59 PM

All replies

• OK, found the Exchange Setup log file here: C:\ExchangeSetupLogs\ExchangeSetup.txt

Scrolled to the bottom and it showed which account was causing the error (see attached), I've crossed out site specific info (eg server and domain names) and have highlighted the relevant parts.

Following the guidance from this page: https://support.microsoft.com/en-gb/help/978776/when-you-try-to-install-the-exchange-server-2010-mailbox-role-the-inst

I removed the FederatedEmail.4c1f4d8b-8179-4148-93bf-00a95fa1e042 e-mail account by using the ADSIEDIT tool. To do this, follow these steps:
    a.Click Start, click
    Run, type adsiedit.msc, and then click
    OK.
    b.Locate the Default Naming Context node, and then locate to the CN=Users container.
    c.Locate and then right-click the CN=FederatedEmail.4c1f4d8b-8179-4148-93bf-00a95fa1e042 container. Then, click Delete.

Then recreated it by typing the following into Exchange 2010 Powershell:
    New-Mailbox -Arbitration -Name FederatedEmail.4c1f4d8b-8179-4148-93bf-00a95fa1e042 -UserPrincipalName FederatedEmail.4c1f4d8b-8179-4148-93bf-00a95fa1e042@<Default_Accepted_Domain>

The installation has now moved on from Step 6 of the installation of Exchange 2016 (to co-exist with Exchange 2010).

If there are any further errors, I will post a new thread.

• Marked as answer by KitKatNinja Tuesday, August 22, 2017 1:59 PM
    Tuesday, August 22, 2017 1:59 PM
  • Hi,

Glad to hear that issue has been solved! Thanks for detailed solution sharing! 

Best Regards,

Lynn-Li
    TechNet Community Support

Please remember to mark the replies as answers.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Wednesday, August 23, 2017 2:20 AM
  • You can't run a New-Mailbox command if this error happened and you only have one server...
    Saturday, March 31, 2018 1:56 PM