Creating new Forest Trust, any effect on exchange ? RRS feed

• Question

• We will be doing a new forest trust and I was wondering what the effect on exchange would be if any ? 

Our enviroment is a 2007/2010 mixed currently and in the new trusted domain they have 2003.  They would also like to include their information into our GAL and I don't think the trust helps any with that, or does it ?

Barnold
    Wednesday, July 20, 2011 10:56 AM

Answers

• Barnold,

That's correct when creating a trust the users in Exchange organization A will not appear in Exchange organization B's GAL. There are a few methods to arrange this:

• create contacts manually in each AD
    • create contacts automatically by either using Forefront Identity Manager or a 3rd party tool for example from Quest

Regards,

Johan

Exchange-blog: www.johanveldhuis.nl
    • Marked as answer by Arnie997 Thursday, July 21, 2011 4:58 PM
    Wednesday, July 20, 2011 11:40 AM

All replies

• Barnold,

That's correct when creating a trust the users in Exchange organization A will not appear in Exchange organization B's GAL. There are a few methods to arrange this:

• create contacts manually in each AD
    • create contacts automatically by either using Forefront Identity Manager or a 3rd party tool for example from Quest

Regards,

Johan

Exchange-blog: www.johanveldhuis.nl
    • Marked as answer by Arnie997 Thursday, July 21, 2011 4:58 PM
    Wednesday, July 20, 2011 11:40 AM
  • Hi,

Creating a trust will have no influence on any of the exchange systems.

You will need to create some form of GAL synchronization to have the GAL in one forest populated with info from the other forest.

Leif

Wednesday, July 20, 2011 11:41 AM
  • We will be doing a new forest trust and I was wondering what the effect on exchange would be if any ? 

Our enviroment is a 2007/2010 mixed currently and in the new trusted domain they have 2003.  They would also like to include their information into our GAL and I don't think the trust helps any with that, or does it ?

Barnold

As mentioned above, having a trust alone wont work. You could use something like Quest (QCS) and for this you dont event need a trust betweent the Org for free/busy stuff and GAL synch,  you can do it via SMTP.
    Sukh
    Wednesday, July 20, 2011 11:05 PM
  • Thanks Sukh.... I have tried Quest Quick Connect which is the free version but ran into problems.  We were using an Ex2003 setup as the source, and creating contacts in Ex2007.  It was setting the "External" smtp address on the contact but not the "Default SMTP" address for some reason.  It was also leaving a check in the "Automatically update e-mail addresses based on e-mail address policy" checked on the contact and applying the policy which we do not want.

Arnie
    Thursday, July 21, 2011 12:54 AM
  • Hi Arnie,

If you want to change the Contacts email address and uncheck the “Automatically update e-mail addressed based on e-mail address policy”, you can refer to this thread:

Looking for a Powershell cmdlet to change Contacts email addresses

http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en/exchangesvradmin/thread/fa94c2eb-3259-4788-883e-abeb5ed0956b

Thanks,

Evan Liu

TechNet Subscriber Support in forum

If you have any feedback on our support, please contact tngfb@microsoft.com  

Thursday, July 21, 2011 11:07 AM