Windows intstaller can't install from remote desktop error - in Virtual PC XP mode RRS feed

• Question

• I installed Windows Virtual PC 64 bit after upgrading to Windows 7 and that went fine.  I followed the instructions to the letter for installing software in it, but I continue to get an error stating windows installer can't install the program from a remote desktop.  I understand from the forums that WPC is a remote desktop, but is there a workaround to be able to install programs using windows installer?  WPC doesn't seem much good if you can't install software in it.  The program I'm trying to install is Adobe Photoshop.
    Sunday, November 21, 2010 2:26 PM

Answers

• Deepakrnd,

Thank you for responding.  Your suggestion did not work because the option you mentioned wasn't available on my action menu.  However, it did lead me to investigate the virtual PC help, which listed my error in the troubleshooting section and provided instructions to disable integration features in the tools menu, then install the program, then enable integration features again. 

I found once I disabled "integration features," virtual PC no longer recognized my DVD drive however, so I had to re-enable integration features, then copy all the files to a folder on the virtual PC, then disable integration features, then run the install from the setup.exe, then enable integration features once again.  Now it works!  Problem solved.  It may also have worked to set my DVD drive as a "shared drive" in the virtual PC settings.

• Marked as answer by nowrocks Tuesday, November 23, 2010 12:17 AM
    Tuesday, November 23, 2010 12:17 AM

All replies

• hi buddy,

try this thing, in the action menu of virtual PC click on "Install or update virtual Machine additions".....

copy your software on to the virtual PC and then try to install it .......

hope this works...

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread. 

Monday, November 22, 2010 6:59 AM
  • Deepakrnd,

Thank you for responding.  Your suggestion did not work because the option you mentioned wasn't available on my action menu.  However, it did lead me to investigate the virtual PC help, which listed my error in the troubleshooting section and provided instructions to disable integration features in the tools menu, then install the program, then enable integration features again. 

I found once I disabled "integration features," virtual PC no longer recognized my DVD drive however, so I had to re-enable integration features, then copy all the files to a folder on the virtual PC, then disable integration features, then run the install from the setup.exe, then enable integration features once again.  Now it works!  Problem solved.  It may also have worked to set my DVD drive as a "shared drive" in the virtual PC settings.

• Marked as answer by nowrocks Tuesday, November 23, 2010 12:17 AM
    Tuesday, November 23, 2010 12:17 AM