System Sweeper Definition Updates RRS feed

• Question

• Hi All,

About how often are the definitions updated for MS System Sweeper? Daily? Weekly? Monthly? Thanks! I'm using Win7.

Tom

System Sweeper Definition Updates
    Wednesday, September 7, 2011 3:41 AM

Answers

• Hi

This forum is specific to Microsoft Lync Security, not general security or System Sweeper

I think System sweeper is still in Beta

The win7 security forum might be worth a try

http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/w7itprosecurity/threads

thanks

Tom

Tom Arbuthnot, Consultant Modality Systems
    Blog: Lync'd Up Blog Subscribe for updates: Email or RSS
    Twitter @tomarbuthnot
    • Proposed as answer by Tom ArbuthnotMVP Wednesday, September 7, 2011 7:11 AM
    • Marked as answer by Advait C Wednesday, September 7, 2011 9:29 AM
    Wednesday, September 7, 2011 7:11 AM
  • Hi Advait,

Here is just Lync forum. I suggest you post your question to windows 7 forum that you can get more help:

http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en/category/w7itpro

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.
    Wednesday, September 7, 2011 8:54 AM

• About how often are the definitions updated for MS System Sweeper? Daily? Weekly? Monthly? Thanks! I'm using Win7.

First of all, as others wrote, this forum isn't the right place to ask questions about the "Microsoft System Sweeper" then, to try answering your question, the tool has no "definition update" mechanism, that's also why it will "expire" after some days; the reason for such a choice is simple, to ensure to detect whatever new type of malware, the sweeper needs to update both the signatures AND the scanning engine, and the latter, being an "in RAM" tool can't be updated upon each scan, so Microsoft choose to set an expiry date and force people to re-download the latest version of the tool. While this may seem a bad choice, it isn't; you may just use a rewritable support to burn the tool and, with such an approach, you'll be sure you'll always have the latest scanning engine and signature, so the tool will be able to detect new "malware"

HTH

• Marked as answer by Advait C Wednesday, September 14, 2011 3:35 AM
    Tuesday, September 13, 2011 3:29 PM

All replies

• Hi

This forum is specific to Microsoft Lync Security, not general security or System Sweeper

I think System sweeper is still in Beta

The win7 security forum might be worth a try

http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/w7itprosecurity/threads

thanks

Tom

Tom Arbuthnot, Consultant Modality Systems
    Blog: Lync'd Up Blog Subscribe for updates: Email or RSS
    Twitter @tomarbuthnot
    • Proposed as answer by Tom ArbuthnotMVP Wednesday, September 7, 2011 7:11 AM
    Wednesday, September 7, 2011 7:11 AM
  • Hi Advait,

Here is just Lync forum. I suggest you post your question to windows 7 forum that you can get more help:

http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en/category/w7itpro

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.
    Wednesday, September 7, 2011 8:54 AM

• About how often are the definitions updated for MS System Sweeper? Daily? Weekly? Monthly? Thanks! I'm using Win7.

First of all, as others wrote, this forum isn't the right place to ask questions about the "Microsoft System Sweeper" then, to try answering your question, the tool has no "definition update" mechanism, that's also why it will "expire" after some days; the reason for such a choice is simple, to ensure to detect whatever new type of malware, the sweeper needs to update both the signatures AND the scanning engine, and the latter, being an "in RAM" tool can't be updated upon each scan, so Microsoft choose to set an expiry date and force people to re-download the latest version of the tool. While this may seem a bad choice, it isn't; you may just use a rewritable support to burn the tool and, with such an approach, you'll be sure you'll always have the latest scanning engine and signature, so the tool will be able to detect new "malware"

HTH

• Marked as answer by Advait C Wednesday, September 14, 2011 3:35 AM
    Tuesday, September 13, 2011 3:29 PM
  • Perfect. Thanks!
    Wednesday, September 14, 2011 3:35 AM