Strange icon behavior for both start menu and taskbar RRS feed

• Question

• Ok.  This one is strange.  I had pinned Word, Excel and Powerpoint to the Win7 taskbar.  On start up the icons were there and working but were generic.  Tried unpinning.  Tried pinning to start menu.  In all cases all I get is a generic icon.  Somehow the graphic depiction of the app is missing.  How do I get the graphic depiction of these programs back to the icon?
    Wednesday, November 11, 2009 5:54 PM

Answers

• Hi sfoeuroflyer,

Does the issue only occur in the pinned Microsoft Office programs? What is the version of your Office program? What about the icons listed in All Programs and the Desktop?

You can try the suggestions below to check the result:

Rebuild Icon Cache

=====

1. Click Start, and open Computer.

2. On the Tool bar, click Organize and choose Folder and Search Options.

3. Click the View tab, and check to select the Show hidden files and folders option, and click OK.

4. Then, enter the following directory:

%USERPROFILE%\AppData\Local

5. Find the IconCache.db file, and rename it as IconCache.db.old.

6. Close the window, and restart the computer.

If the issue persists, please see if the issue occurs in a newly created user account. Also, please go in to Safe Mode (Restart computer, press the F8 key when the boot menu pops up, select [Safe Mode], and boot up) and check if the issue still occurs.

What is the result? If the issue still exists in Safe Mode, try reinstalling Microsoft Office.

Regards,

Linda

• Marked as answer by Linda Yan Wednesday, November 18, 2009 1:55 AM
    Thursday, November 12, 2009 7:42 AM

All replies

• Hi sfoeuroflyer,

Does the issue only occur in the pinned Microsoft Office programs? What is the version of your Office program? What about the icons listed in All Programs and the Desktop?

You can try the suggestions below to check the result:

Rebuild Icon Cache

=====

1. Click Start, and open Computer.

2. On the Tool bar, click Organize and choose Folder and Search Options.

3. Click the View tab, and check to select the Show hidden files and folders option, and click OK.

4. Then, enter the following directory:

%USERPROFILE%\AppData\Local

5. Find the IconCache.db file, and rename it as IconCache.db.old.

6. Close the window, and restart the computer.

If the issue persists, please see if the issue occurs in a newly created user account. Also, please go in to Safe Mode (Restart computer, press the F8 key when the boot menu pops up, select [Safe Mode], and boot up) and check if the issue still occurs.

What is the result? If the issue still exists in Safe Mode, try reinstalling Microsoft Office.

Regards,

Linda

• Marked as answer by Linda Yan Wednesday, November 18, 2009 1:55 AM
    Thursday, November 12, 2009 7:42 AM
  • Following this process precisely didn't restore any of my icons.  Anything else I can try?

The issue is affecting all types of software icons - Microsoft, Adobe, Skype, Snagit, iTunes, etc.

Sunday, February 13, 2011 6:22 PM
  • Check to see that you have the latest video driver from the web site of the maker of your video card.

-Noel

Sunday, February 13, 2011 7:31 PM
  • the rebuild icon cache didnt work for me either. Repairing Office did not work either as it ended w/ an unable to remove Office message. Re-installing Office was also not possible, with the same message. Heres what did work: http://go.microsoft.com/?linkid=9669698. You can manually run or use the MS FIXIT tool. This succesfully removed Office2007, and I was able to reinstall Office, and of course the icons were corrected. Unfortunately, this only affected Office, majority of my icons are displaying that unknown app icon.

To fix the apps, I went down the list (Start>All Programs), checked which icons had issues, and manually rebuilt them via change icon attribute. Since some items did not have this option, I reinstalled the app w/ no problems (dozens of apps), was pretty much straight forward.

The only other fix Ive found from the net is to... re-install the OS.

I think that the majority of the errors w/ the icons had to do w/ the systemroot/installer folder. Something had erased/modified the contents as the majority of the messages (not shown on EventViewer by the way) were all talking about the "systemroot/installer" folder. Rather than wasting time troubleshooting, just went ahead and did the MSFIXIT route. No admin error messages btw, since someone might ask. No, these computers dont see the internet beyond MSupdates since someone might bring in the malware factor.

Monday, July 18, 2011 3:25 PM