none
percsas3.sys BSOD RRS feed

• Question

• Trying to deploy Windows 7 Enterprise SP1 64-bit via MDT to a Dell Precision Tower 7810 Workstation. Using the Precision T7810 Windows 7 Driver Pack A02 from http://en.community.dell.com/techcenter/enterprise-client/w/wiki/7556.precision-t7810-windows-7-driver-pack. The desktop has a MegaRAID SAS 9361-8i installed, so I downloaded the latest driver and injected it, and took note of the newer driver in MDT, updated the Deployment share, and uploaded the new .wim into WDS. Getting the following BSOD after the OS is installed during the MDT process.

I think the "3" after percsas3.sys could be just the driver name in MDT (I'll double check when I'm back at work). I set the BIOS to AHCI mode before deployment but it still bluescreens.The setup is an SSD connected to the board as SATA and 2 drives attached to a RAID card. I have set my MDT up to deploy to the first disk only. Any ideas on a resolution?

Monday, June 8, 2015 3:10 AM

Answers

• OK SUCCESS! Reverted the Inject Drivers task back to Nothing and Install all drivers from the selection profile. The Copying driver component during the build this time was super quick, and I noticed all the drivers from Precision Tower 7810 folder being copied - nothing with (3) or (5) etc. Then, NO BLUE SCREEN! I was using the A02 driver pack, then the updated LSI drivers with the AO2 LSI drivers removed (the driver with a (1) next to it and an older driver version) - but it was more of a case of the original setup of my Inject Drivers task that was the main issue to my initial blue screen problems. One thing I'm not sure of though was if changing the folder from Precision Tower T7810 to Precision Tower 7810 helped? Thanks to all involved!
    • Marked as answer by edgar_davids Thursday, June 11, 2015 12:56 AM
    Thursday, June 11, 2015 12:56 AM

All replies

• To my understanding, this storage driver is advertised and accepted by the operating system as the default storage driver for your hardware. However since this storage driver causes the BSOD, you should first of all remove this driver and perform a driver-less deployment to see which devices aren't installed out of the box and focus on identifying and adding drivers for these components.

Driver pools polluted with a bunch of drivers (even though you did organize them by hardware model) are the reason BSOD's like these can occur. Since hardware models are fitted with and upgraded over time with newer hardware, manufacturers release driver packages with all kinds of drivers.

You'll just need to filter out the good drivers and get rid of the bad ones.

Cheers! Rens

If this post is helpful please click "Mark for answer", thanks! Kind regards

Monday, June 8, 2015 11:42 AM
  • I agree with Rens, there's been a couple times where I've had a Dell cab pack contain network drivers that didn't work. I removed those specific drivers from the out of box folder and then added some updated working drivers.

If you get your CABs from Dells Enterprise site (which you are doing), look at the Delta report and if you notice that there's an update, IF the driver isn't working for you, go to the support site and get the updated version of that individual driver. Once you have a working set of drivers, there's no reason to replace them even if new drivers are released. Of course update them if the new driver addresses serious performance or security issues. Otherwise if it isn't broke, don't fix it.

If this post is helpful please vote it as Helpful or click Mark for answer.

Monday, June 8, 2015 1:25 PM
  • UPDATE:

1st Scenario: A02 driver pack, update Deployment Share (x64)

LSI Corp. SCSIAdapter megasas2.inf 6.703.04.00
    LSI Corp. System nodev.inf 6.703.04.00

FAILED with same BSOD

2nd Scenario: Removed below driver versions from driver store (contained within A02 driver pack) and replaced with latest from LSI site, update Deployment Share (x64)

LSI Corp. SCSIAdapter megasas2.inf 6.707.07.00
    LSI Corp. System nodev.inf 6.707.07.00

FAILED with same BSOD

3rd Scenario: Downgraded to A01 driver pack, update Deployment Share (x64)

LSI Corp. SCSIAdapter megasas2.inf 6.703.03.00
    LSI Corp. System nodev.inf 6.703.03.00

FAILED with same BSOD

4th Scenario: A00 driver pack contained same SCSIAdapter version as A01 driver pack - did not attempt

5th Scenario: A02 driver pack, removing all LSI drivers

FAILED with below error

6th Scenario: Tried using an x86 boot image with A02 driver package

FAILED with same BSOD

7th Scenario: A02 driver pack, latest LSI drivers, update Deployment Share (x64), physically removed RAID card

IMAGE deployed successfully

Placed card back into PC, Windows booted fine, manually installed latest LSI driver, worked fine

• Edited by edgar_davids Tuesday, June 9, 2015 2:46 AM extra information
    Tuesday, June 9, 2015 2:13 AM
  • Unless percsas.sys is a different driver than megasas2.sys?
    Tuesday, June 9, 2015 2:24 AM
  • So when I manually installed the driver, I also got the Intel C600 come up. Could be another avenue to test.

Tuesday, June 9, 2015 2:52 AM
  • No luck. Tried multiple combinations. It won't start the build process without either the BSOD (percsas3.sys) or the megasas2.sys errors.
    Wednesday, June 10, 2015 2:58 AM
  • OK SUCCESS! Reverted the Inject Drivers task back to Nothing and Install all drivers from the selection profile. The Copying driver component during the build this time was super quick, and I noticed all the drivers from Precision Tower 7810 folder being copied - nothing with (3) or (5) etc. Then, NO BLUE SCREEN! I was using the A02 driver pack, then the updated LSI drivers with the AO2 LSI drivers removed (the driver with a (1) next to it and an older driver version) - but it was more of a case of the original setup of my Inject Drivers task that was the main issue to my initial blue screen problems. One thing I'm not sure of though was if changing the folder from Precision Tower T7810 to Precision Tower 7810 helped? Thanks to all involved!
    • Marked as answer by edgar_davids Thursday, June 11, 2015 12:56 AM
    Thursday, June 11, 2015 12:56 AM

An easy way to think of this is if you try to access a folder that doesn't exist then how do you expect to get anything from that folder? Your original folder structure would never have worked.

AND if you don't have a good working driver otherwise (external to MDT verified to install and not BSOD) then MDT won't have different results.

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.

Thursday, June 11, 2015 6:30 PM

• An easy way to think of this is if you try to access a folder that doesn't exist then how do you expect to get anything from that folder? Your original folder structure would never have worked.

AND if you don't have a good working driver otherwise (external to MDT verified to install and not BSOD) then MDT won't have different results.

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.

Why wouldn't it have never worked? No one told me the folder had to be called 'Precision Tower 7810', and no one had worked out my Inject Drivers task was a little off.
    Sunday, June 14, 2015 10:42 PM
  • If you are going by Johan's total control method (assuming that is where you got the method) I thought it would have mentioned that. I apologize if it came across wrong. I was just trying to explain the why.

Monday, June 15, 2015 6:19 PM
  • Unless one of us had your particular model we wouldn't have been able to verify the exact name to use. As I explained here - https://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/0e6663ad-ff89-4dc9-8bbd-8045c874b5cd/how-to-verify-driver-installation?forum=mdt#b20dc88c-0e28-4371-8ae5-1c6109693c8c 

The code I posted on that thread can be used any time you get a new model. Run that to figure out what name will be returned when a query is made, because that will be the name you have to use in your folder structure. The exception is if you use a script to alias the names of models, in which case you are the person who decides what names will be used instead.

If this post is helpful please vote it as Helpful or click Mark for answer.

Monday, June 15, 2015 6:34 PM
  • All good Ty. I appreciate everyone's assistance!
    Tuesday, June 16, 2015 12:53 AM
  • Thanks Dan, you've been a great help.
    Tuesday, June 16, 2015 1:19 AM