none
Question about Changing Settings RRS feed

• Question

• Hello,

I am using SteadyState for some laptops on a project I am working on.  I have created a SteadyState profile/local account and imported it.  Works great at this point.  However, I now have to make some minor changes.  I log back into the laptop with a local admin account, make the changes and then reboot.  The problem is that the changes do not transfer to the SteadyState local account.  Examples of these changes are resolution or hiding the clock.  Is this happening because of SteadyState or because the settings are not globally changeable and have to be done within each profile?  Any assistance is appreciated it.  Thank you.

Sam

Friday, June 11, 2010 8:09 PM

Answers

• Hi Sam, I'd like to inform you that only those restrictions in Global Computer Settings in Windows SteadyState are global settings. For changes in a certain users, we can either change restrictions under SteadyState user settings or log onto the user - make changes, if you have Windows Disk Protection enabled, we also need to save the changes into WDP. 

Thank you.

Sean Zhu - MSFT
    Monday, June 14, 2010 5:58 AM

All replies

• Hi Sam, I'd like to inform you that only those restrictions in Global Computer Settings in Windows SteadyState are global settings. For changes in a certain users, we can either change restrictions under SteadyState user settings or log onto the user - make changes, if you have Windows Disk Protection enabled, we also need to save the changes into WDP. 

Thank you.

Sean Zhu - MSFT
    Monday, June 14, 2010 5:58 AM
  • Sean,

Thanks for getting back to me.  So, are you saying that if I make a change under a local Admin account it should change under the Steadystate account as long as it is not blocked in the Global Computer Settings section?

Also, if I were to setup the system exactly as I want it BEFORE installing Steadystate will those changes stay under Steadystate?  Say for example I changed the resolution to 1024x768 under an Admin account and then installed Steadystate, will the resolution change or will it retain the 1024x768 setting?  Thanks.

Sam

Monday, June 14, 2010 6:15 PM
  • Yes. Making changes in Global Computer Settings section should affect all users on the computer. To restrict certain user, we need to change under User Settings section.

Those per-user settings should be kept. However, resolution is not global setting or per-user setting and Windows does not natively permit different user's to retain their preferred screen resolution.

Sean Zhu - MSFT
    Thursday, June 17, 2010 2:59 AM