none
Unable to access a network shared folder RRS feed

• Question

• Hi experts,

Bit of a head scratcher....

We have a windows 7 laptop, lets call him Lappy1, which is attempting to access the standard user's share location on a server, lets call him Server1.

Server 1 has three shared locations, Share1, Share2 and Share3.  The user's files are stored within Share3, inside a few nested folders.

All devices are on the same network.

Lappy1 can connect to the root of Share1 and Share2, but is getting an access denied message when accessing Share3.

WAIT!! before you start hastily typing away asking me to check the permissions to the share or the NTFS permissions on Share3, i need to explain the reason this is a head scratcher!

• It doesn't matter what user account is used on Lappy1, the same result as per above is experienced.  If I use any of those accounts used on Lappy1 on my own desktop device (or most other devices for that matter), they are able to access Share3 with no issues.
    • This doesn't just affect this one device, there are maybe 3 or 4 devices out of many thousand devices with this same (or apparently the same) issue.  I have only had contact with this one, so I cannot comment with any certainty on those others that have been mentioned by the techs.
    • I have tried adding the user account used and the machine account to the share permissions for Share3 with no success.
    • The device has been removed from the domain and re-added.
    • The only workaround that has been used previously is to re-image the device, thereby removing whatever the cause was but not finding a solution.

It does appear to be a machine issue rather than permissions, but I am keeping an open mind and am pretty sure I am not seeing the wood for the trees on this one, so any help you can provide will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

Monday, July 18, 2016 10:06 AM

Answers

• Seems to have stumped the rest of you too.

Though I am happy to report we now have a fix for it!

It was the Offline File Cache that was the culprit.  Something went wrong at some point with the CSC folder on the device in question.

Using the "Let me fix it myself" steps in the following support article to re-format the offline files database solved it in this instance.

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/942974

Hope this helps anyone else with the same issue.

Monday, July 18, 2016 3:38 PM

All replies

• Seems to have stumped the rest of you too.

Though I am happy to report we now have a fix for it!

It was the Offline File Cache that was the culprit.  Something went wrong at some point with the CSC folder on the device in question.

Using the "Let me fix it myself" steps in the following support article to re-format the offline files database solved it in this instance.

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/942974

Hope this helps anyone else with the same issue.

Monday, July 18, 2016 3:38 PM
  • Hi Dean McGinnes,

Glad to hear that you have found a solution and thank you for sharing it here. It is a useful fix about

network shared folder issue. It will be helpful to other community members who have same questions.

Best regards,

Carl Fan

Please mark the reply as an answer if you find it is helpful.

If you have feedback for TechNet Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com

Tuesday, July 19, 2016 2:46 AM