restore adfs virtual machine RRS feed

• Question

• Dear all,

I have 2 virtual machine ADFS servers on hyperv hosts cluster. I backup these machine as virtual machines with Veeam software. If i want to restore one of this VM's(the whole vm) is that ok? i am asking beause i know for domain controllers you have to do authoritative or non authoritative restore.

Regards

Pantos

Wednesday, October 18, 2017 9:35 AM

Answers

• It depends what you want to achieve I would say and how your set up is configured. 

If you have a 2 node server farm with WID database, and your secondary server for some reason crash.
    Then it might be a good idea to restore that VM from backup (if thats faster then setting up a new server and add that server to the farm).

When it comes to backup and restore there is no easy answer since it all depends on your requirements and how fast you can perform restore vs install new machine.

But if we leave that outside the picture, your backup should be enough if it does full-backup or system state but please not that it might have dependencies if you use WID or SQL. Otherwise a supported solution from MS is to use the ADFS Rapid Restore Tool to backup/restore the whole federation service itself. Or if you want to only backup other ADFS stuff then might custom PowerShell script might be enough.

Thursday, October 19, 2017 1:56 PM

All replies

• Pantoskom,

You can use the ADFS Rapid Restore Tool. This article explains how to use it and what needs to be done.

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-server/identity/ad-fs/operations/ad-fs-rapid-restore-tool

Good luck,

JP

Wednesday, October 18, 2017 4:07 PM
  • Pantoskom,

You can use the ADFS Rapid Restore Tool. This article explains how to use it and what needs to be done.

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-server/identity/ad-fs/operations/ad-fs-rapid-restore-tool

Good luck,

JP

Agree with 000_JP, if you are talking about the ADFS as federation service i would recommend the ADFS Rapid Restore Tool. If you are talking about restore of VM then maybe both ADFS Rapid Restore Tool and VM backup will help you.

ADFS does not has any scenario like authoritative or non authoritative restore.

Wednesday, October 18, 2017 8:48 PM
  • Hello,

So you both suggest that there is no reason to backup the VM as virtual machine because any way i will need this tool to restore it correct?

Regards

Pantos

Thursday, October 19, 2017 6:09 AM
  • It depends what you want to achieve I would say and how your set up is configured. 

If you have a 2 node server farm with WID database, and your secondary server for some reason crash.
    Then it might be a good idea to restore that VM from backup (if thats faster then setting up a new server and add that server to the farm).

When it comes to backup and restore there is no easy answer since it all depends on your requirements and how fast you can perform restore vs install new machine.

But if we leave that outside the picture, your backup should be enough if it does full-backup or system state but please not that it might have dependencies if you use WID or SQL. Otherwise a supported solution from MS is to use the ADFS Rapid Restore Tool to backup/restore the whole federation service itself. Or if you want to only backup other ADFS stuff then might custom PowerShell script might be enough.

Thursday, October 19, 2017 1:56 PM