How to manage vhd files? RRS feed

• Question

• Hi everyone,
    I have really been confused with my new comp since I got it about 2 weeks ago. It's completely new to me. The OS is Win7 Pro 64 bit version, 32GB RAM, 2GB graphics card and 1TB HDD. I divided the 1TB HDD into 2 partitions: 300GB (E) and 700GB (F). I intend to store most of programs/software in E and data will be stored in F. To do so I have to create 2 vhd files, one for E and the other for F and of course, both vhd files are saved in C drive (111GB). But the more data I save in E or F the more C drive is getting fuller, and when data saving process in F reaches around 40GB the C drive is completely full! I look carefully into C drive and it surprises me because the total software which are installed in C is not bigger than 40GB! At this point I couldn't be able to install any thing else in C that I must have for my job. 
    After days of searching around for this problem I realised that there are something called virtual files and virtual disks etc., I switched off hiberfil.sys last week, it saved about 10GB in C but I notice that the C drive gets fuller and fuller again after daily use without installing any new graphics programs in it. I am not IT expert to understand all those stuff and don;t know exactly how the new machine works! It makes me really frustrated in finding a way (which I believe there is) to save more data in E & F and install more programs in C.
    Could any body help me to:
    1) gain more space in C?
    2) save more data in E&F without losing space in C? 
    Please guide me clearly in steps to solve this problem. I like this beast cos it is lightening fast but unfortunately, I couldn't use its capacity and advantages effectively. 
    Thank you for your help and suggestions
    Tuesday, December 25, 2012 1:06 AM

All replies

• Hi,

I wonder why you want to create VHD file for your file drives.

Alex Zhao
    TechNet Community Support

Wednesday, December 26, 2012 8:35 AM
  • Hi Alex,

As I explained, this computer is new to me, the system is new to me and I didn't know where to save my file because the 1TB drive was hidden at the first use.  So, I have to create vhd files and format them before data to be stored in it. The partitions need a VHD Attach app to be visible on the computer. I actually don't want to create vhd files, it's more complicated to me. But without doing so I couldn't use the 1TB drive to store data.

Could you please give me instructions to manage the HDD without affecting the SDD? I am happy to use the 1TB drive as a single drive as it is and all programs/software will be in C drive.

Thank you

Have a nice day

Monday, January 21, 2013 4:27 AM
  • Dear,

The VHD file must be hosted on a drive with the amount of space needed. (If you want to add 450 Gb of data in the VHD, the Partition of the drive must be at least of 450GB).

Option one: Dynamic VHD, the file grow as the data are added in the VHD up to the size indicated in the creation task(up to the limit of the partition where the VHD file is hosted)

Option two: fixed volume size VHD more stable, if you  create 100 Gb VHD it will take 100 Gb of space on the hard drive (you Cannot oversize the VHD from the host drive in both case)

As Alex asked, Why?, your answer is quiet troubling, I propose that you use disk part tool :kb300415 in google

to format and activate your second hard drive.

WARNING THIS PROCESS WILL COMPLETLY EREASE ALL DATA ON YOUR DISK

Type cmd in start menu

right click and run as administrator

type:

Diskpart (the diskpart tool starts)

-----------

list disk

Select Disk # (Where # is the number of your disk. We typed “Select Disk 2”)

Clean (removes any existing partitions from the disk, including any hidden sectors)

Create Partition Primary (Creates a new primary partition with default parameters)

Select Partition 1 (Focus on the newly created partition)

Active (Sets the in-focus partition to active, informing the disk firmware that this is a valid system partition)

Format FS=NTFS (Formats the partition with the NTFS file system. This may take several minutes to complete, depending on the size of your HDD.)

Assign (Gives the drive a Windows volume and next available drive letter.)

Exit (Quits the DiskPart tool).

now the disk is fully functional, and you can manage the volume and partition in disk management with GUI or diskpart. ( right click computer in explorer and use manage ).

Here you will be able to shrink or create partition on the drive.

Wednesday, February 6, 2013 11:42 AM
  • s

Check the following command:

1. Click Start Button, right click My Compuetr>click Manage>you will directed to Computer Management>Click Management>from this window you will see what are those availabe disk..Then you can add and remove partitions.

Hope it will help you

Thnkas

Thursday, February 7, 2013 1:52 PM