Windows Server 2012R2 - Network Location Awareness keeps changing from Domain to Public after reboot RRS feed

• Question

• I also have this issue but I have domain controllers that are NOT part of this Hyper-V host.  If I restart the Network Location Awareness (which

also restarts the Network List Service) It goes back to domain as it should.  Now when I reboot this server it will once again put the interface /

network back to public even though this Hyper-V server has been successfully joined to the domain with a static IP.

Now for clarification.  This Hyper-V server does NOT have any virtuals configured yet.  The only thing that has been configured is a NIC team with

two onboard NICs (LAN ports 3 & 4) and two NICs from an add-in four port card (ports 3 & 4) .  The Local LAN connection is dedicated to LAN

Port #1.  We also have a dedicated IMM port for out of band access.

Now the ONLY time I can get this server to reboot and STAY in the "Domain" location is if I have PORTFAST enabled on the switch port it is

connected to.  Yes, we use STP here in our enterprise.  This is not the first time I have had to do this but it doesn't seem right as a co-worker

claims he does NOT need to do this and his Hyper-V server reboots just fine.  I have had him check it out and he cannot see any differences

between his servers and mine.  Yet mine will always reboot to "public" unless I have portfast enabled.  Any thoughts??

Network Admin

Wednesday, July 15, 2015 5:19 PM

Answers

• Hi,

Sorry for the delay.

I didn't find any official document about this issue.

From my point of view, if this issue is related to the portfast, we may try to delay the NLA service to start.

Best Regards.

Steven Lee Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help. If you have feedback for TechNet Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Tuesday, July 21, 2015 9:59 AM