none
SBS 2011 Migration Prep Tool

Question

• Error detected during the Prep Tool (with update roll-up 1 of prep tool) indicated DNS error.

"Your Local server is not in the name server records".   

The problem is that it IS in the records and the link to changes in Roll-up 1 with solutions suggests checking for AD Integrated Zone and setting secure updates. It was already set this way when the error was generated. Article updated today and I can't find any other references to this error or solutions.  Anyone have some advice?

Jeff

Wednesday, October 19, 2011 6:58 AM

Answers

• Hi,

Just to add what in our case was the problem and solution, maybe if someone else runs into this the solution might help.

In our case if you opened the DNS server and took a look within the domain.local forward zone there was no _msdcs entry. There was a _msdcs.domain.local zone, so everything was like this picture accept the record within the red circle was missing.

The solution was at the end realy simple:
    1. Delete the _msdcs.domain.local zone
    2. create a new primary zone _msdcs.domain.local
    3. Open a command prompt and run ipconfig /registerdns
    4. Restart the net logon service

After restaring the net logon service all the _msdcs.domain.local and the _mcdcs record are automatically recreated.

Re-run the migration preparation tool and the error was gone.

Regards Ronny
    -------------
    Visit my Blog or follow me on Twitter
    • Edited by ronnypot Wednesday, November 09, 2011 7:57 AM
    • Proposed as answer by Dale DU-IT Wednesday, March 21, 2012 12:57 AM
    • Marked as answer by Sean Zhu -Moderator Friday, April 27, 2012 7:04 AM
    Thursday, October 20, 2011 11:53 AM
  • I contacted MS tonight about the issue. They were able to resolve it in about 75 minutes of troubleshooting. The solution was to delete the DNS zone and recreate it entirely.

This solved the problem. 

Jeff

Jeff Putnam PC Wizard LLC
    Thursday, October 20, 2011 2:54 AM

All replies

• Can you post back sourcetool.log?It should be under %temp%
    Wednesday, October 19, 2011 10:57 AM
  • 10/19/2011 03:00:39          Starting health scan using MBCA engine..
    10/19/2011 03:00:41          Health scan: MBCA model has been imported.
    10/19/2011 03:00:42          Health scan: SBSMigrationPrep model is in the mbca model list.
    10/19/2011 03:00:42          Health scan: Invoking SBSMigrationPrep model at 10/19/2011 03:00:42
    10/19/2011 03:00:50          Health scan: invoke result: True
    10/19/2011 03:00:50          Health scan: scan end time: 10/19/2011 03:00:50, duration: 00:00:08.4552148
    10/19/2011 03:00:51          Health scan: 1 issues found.
    10/19/2011 03:00:51          1: id=1, title=Error is found in DNS Zone weatherby.local, description=In DNS zone weatherby.local, your local server is not in the name server records . Migration will fail without fixing this issue. Go to http://support.microsoft.com/kb/2578426 for more details., severity=Error
    10/19/2011 03:00:51          1 error(s) and 0 warning(s) found during BPA scan
    Wednesday, October 19, 2011 2:10 PM
  • Hi Jeff,

Was just helping a collegue today who ran into the same issue and till now we didn't find a solution, with almost completely rebuilding dns but with no result. So if you or anyone else got a hint or solution please step in.

Regards Ronny
    -------------
    Wednesday, October 19, 2011 8:18 PM
  • Is WMI up on this box?If you go to start->run->msinfo32 and start->run->winmgmt.msc do you get any error or is it able to connect?
    Wednesday, October 19, 2011 11:14 PM
  • I contacted MS tonight about the issue. They were able to resolve it in about 75 minutes of troubleshooting. The solution was to delete the DNS zone and recreate it entirely.

This solved the problem. 

Jeff

Jeff Putnam PC Wizard LLC
    Thursday, October 20, 2011 2:54 AM
  • Thank you for sharing the solution with us, Jeff!
    Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.
    Thursday, October 20, 2011 3:45 AM
  • Hi,

Just to add what in our case was the problem and solution, maybe if someone else runs into this the solution might help.

In our case if you opened the DNS server and took a look within the domain.local forward zone there was no _msdcs entry. There was a _msdcs.domain.local zone, so everything was like this picture accept the record within the red circle was missing.

After restaring the net logon service all the _msdcs.domain.local and the _mcdcs record are automatically recreated.

Regards Ronny
    -------------
    • Edited by ronnypot Wednesday, November 09, 2011 7:57 AM
    • Proposed as answer by Dale DU-IT Wednesday, March 21, 2012 12:57 AM
    • Marked as answer by Sean Zhu -Moderator Friday, April 27, 2012 7:04 AM
    Thursday, October 20, 2011 11:53 AM
  • Ronny

after a long day prepping a TEMPDC for a SBS 2003 to 2011 migration - I hit that error and was very frustrated by the lack of useful information at the link - your simple instruction saved the day in under 5 minutes

I cannot tell you how relieved I'm feeling at this moment and I want to just say thanks!

Dale Unroe

Wednesday, March 21, 2012 12:59 AM
  • Thanks for help on this - my problem was slightly different - the _msdcs.domain.local zone was missing - recreated it and all fine.

Andrew www.pursuittechnology.co.uk

Wednesday, March 21, 2012 9:16 AM
  • You rock! This fixed my problem
    Thursday, April 12, 2012 2:42 PM
  • Hi,

Regards Ronny
    -------------

This worked perfectly for me,

Thanks

Thursday, May 24, 2012 2:42 PM
  • I appreciate your directions!  They helped, but I had to run the Fix My Network Wizard at the end.  I had to delete both Zones on both of My DC's and then restart both services on both DC's, and then re-register DNS, and finally run 'Fix My Network' Wizard.  I also verified that both DC's had their own IP address listed as the Primary DNS Server and the other server listed as secondary.

Finally my DNS 4110 Errors are gone and all of the records are happily in place.

Regards,

-Scott

Scott M. Phoenix, AZ

Thursday, May 24, 2012 10:52 PM
  • Thanks so much for posting the directions.  This fixed us up.
    Friday, June 29, 2012 3:28 PM
  • As an added side note, if you are receiving the error message even though _msdcs is listed under domain.local you must delete it along with the above listed steps before running ipconfig /registerdns
    Saturday, September 08, 2012 6:19 PM
  • Ronny's solution worked great.

Thanks!

Thursday, September 13, 2012 7:41 PM
  • Many thanks! I had the reverse problem... my _msdcs.domain.local was a subdomain, and there was no _msdcs.domain.local zone.

I deleted the _msdcs subdomain, and created the _msdcs.domain.local zone, then added a delegation for _msdcs. Ipconfig /registerdns and restart netlogon, and problem resolved!

Wednesday, July 10, 2013 12:46 AM
  • Great concise answer that corrected the issue.  Many thanks!!!!
    • Proposed as answer by __debaser__ Sunday, February 16, 2014 3:20 PM
    • Unproposed as answer by __debaser__ Sunday, February 16, 2014 3:20 PM
    Friday, January 31, 2014 1:42 AM
  • Once you've rebuilt the _msdcs record if the error continues the microsoftDNS namespace may be missing from the WMI repository.  Follow the procedure here: http://blogs.technet.com/b/sbs/archive/2011/10/20/an-update-for-the-windows-small-business-server-2011-standard-migration-preparation-tool-is-available.aspx

Worked for me after many frustrating attempts.

Sunday, February 16, 2014 3:26 PM
  • Your follow-up led me to the solution.  I kept looking for how the tool evaluated, since I knew the DNS records were correct by any other method I checked, but kept getting the error.  the WMI repository item was the only one that made sense. 

Thanks for giving me my Saturday back, _debaser_

• Edited by WYNIT Saturday, March 15, 2014 6:54 PM
    Saturday, March 15, 2014 6:53 PM