Calendar syncing issues RRS feed

• Question

• We have two users in our organisation working very closely together (headteacher and PA). The head's calendar is shared with the PA, having full permissions. Both use Outlook 2016, connected to Office 365 in exchange mode (not cached).

The PA keeps adding appointments, while by and large they normally work fine too often an appointment just disappears, leading to the head missing urgent appointments and meetings. 

There are no connectivity issues, the outlook connection assistant always reports healthy.

Both versions of Outlook are identical, they use local profiles and UEV although I can't see that being relevant. Windows 10 1803. 

I've checked for user related issues and have full access to both mailboxes for testing purposes; nothing has been deleted, I can see appointments having been made and on those emails, clicking through to the calendar link brings up This appointment cannot be found.

Desperate for a resolution and I've exhausted everything I can think of. Can anyone offer any tips?

• Moved by Steve Fan Friday, September 21, 2018 3:08 AM move to dedicated Outlook forum
    Thursday, September 20, 2018 10:53 AM

All replies

• Hi,

>>nothing has been deleted, I can see appointments having been made and on those emails, clicking through to the calendar link brings up This appointment cannot be found.

By this, you mean that you can see the missing appointment when viewing the headteacher's calendar from your Outlook, however it displays the "This appointment cannot be found" error when trying to open it, correct?

Can the headteacher see the missing appointment from within OWA calendar?

Besides, does the headteacher view multiple calendars at the same time in overlay mode? There used to have a known issue which caused meetings to not show when viewing multiple calendars in overlay mode, however this issue has been fixed. What is the specific version number of Microsoft Outlook the headteacher and the PA are using? Please make sure Outlook is fully patched on their computers and then monitor to see whether this issue will happen again.

Regards,
    Steve Fan

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they helped. If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnsf@microsoft.com.

Click here to learn more. Visit the dedicated forum to share, explore and talk to experts about Microsoft Teams.

Friday, September 21, 2018 3:18 AM
  • Thanks I shall double check. They are fully up to date (the school is generally on deferred C2R version of 365, but for troubleshooting I had manually updated both these clients to the latest a couple of weeks ago).

The headteacher can't see any appointment, the link I'm clicking is from the PA's account in her Sent folder; that naturally tries to open the calendar appointment which brings up that message.

Some new information may have come to light such as the calendar being accessed via an iPhone's built in mail/calendar app so I shall also be looking at that.

Friday, September 21, 2018 9:45 AM
  • >>Some new information may have come to light such as the calendar being accessed via an iPhone's built in mail/calendar app so I shall also be looking at that.

We noticed several Calendar issues caused by syncing with a mobile devices in this forum. If possible, you may try to temporarily disable the synchronization on the phone and see whether this issue will happen again.

By the way, as you mentioned that "The headteacher can't see any appointment", do you mean the appointment is also invisible when checking from within OWA in a browser? This could help identify whether this issue is specific to Outlook client.

Regards,
    Steve Fan

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they helped. If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnsf@microsoft.com.

Click here to learn more. Visit the dedicated forum to share, explore and talk to experts about Microsoft Teams.

Monday, September 24, 2018 7:42 AM
  • Yes indeed the appointment is completely unavailable whether from OWA, Outlook or even from the OWA/Outlook of the PA who added it in the first place. I've requested the removal of the calendar from his phone for the time being.
    Monday, September 24, 2018 7:50 AM
  • Hello,

Any progress after removing the calendar from his phone?

Regards,
    Steve Fan

Tuesday, September 25, 2018 8:11 AM
  • No; in fact this morning we've had a very interesting occurrence reported to me.

The PA added an appointment on the Head's calendar yesterday around 11am (the appointment for today at 12pm). She then went back in and edited it at 5pm; proving the appointment was there on the Head's calendar at 5pm at least.

I'm trying to get my head around the powershell calendar diagnostics but it's slow going as I can't specify a start/end date without it flagging up errors.

Wednesday, September 26, 2018 7:38 AM
  • To add to this, PA also deleted an appointment from the Head's calendar last night; it's still there. Both via OWA.
    Friday, September 28, 2018 7:36 AM
  • Any new info? :(
    Wednesday, October 3, 2018 2:30 PM