can I restrict users from deleting files from a drive? RRS feed

• Question

• Does SteadyState allow me to restrict users from deleting files on a secondary hard drive, but still allow them to view/access them?  I'm a remixer and producer, and have valuable mp3 and wav files that I can't have any of my friends accidentally (or purposely!) deleting when they use my computer.  I'd still like them to be able to SEE them, and be able to play them in WMP, etc.  Is this type of restriction possible with SteadyState?  If so, it will be the answer I've been searching months for!

Saturday, January 19, 2008 1:50 AM

Answers

•  

Hi,

Thanks for posting here!

Although SteadyState cannot achieve this, Windows XP includes permission control for users.

To configure the folder/file permission, let's try the following steps:

==================

1. Log on with an administrator account.

2. Right click the hard drive (folder, or file).

3. Click the Security tab.

Note: If there is no Security tab and this is a Windows XP Professional computer, let's disable simple file sharing to show the Security tab:

------------------------

a. Click Start, and then click My Computer.

b. On the Tools menu, click Folder Options, and then click the View tab.

c. In the Advanced Settings section, clear the Use simple file sharing (Recommended) check box. Click OK.

If the system is Windows XP Home Edition, please press F8 when the computer starts and boot into Safe Mode with an administrator account to perform the following steps.

4. Highlight your friends' account & Everyone account, only select the Allow check boxes of the following permissions:

Read & Execute

List Folder Contents

Read

Note: If your friends' account is not in the list, we can just make the above changes to the Everyone account. If the Everyone account doesn't exists either, click Add button to add it first.

5. Highlight your own account & Administrator account, allow Full Control permission.

Note: If your user account is not in the user list, we can just make this change to the Administrators. If the administrators doesn't exists either, click Add button to add it first.

6. Log in with another user account to test.

Some articles for your reference:

Set permissions for folders and files

http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/using/networking/security/permissions.mspx

How to configure file sharing in Windows XP

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/304040

Best Regards,

Monday, January 21, 2008 5:55 AM