App-V 5.0 and shortcuts RRS feed

• Question

• Hello, 

There are a couple of things around App-V 5.0 and shortcuts I'm still a little confused about. 

I once created a package of Project and Visio 2013 with the click-to-run\deployment tool. The package worked great until someone said they needed Project but don't have a license to visio. To avoid this I made a shortcut to the executable in %localappdata% and set restrictions to the shortcut with AD groups. However when I double clicked on a visio document, the user would still be able to run Visio. I tried to avoid this by creating two packages, one with Visio and one with Project. The problem here is that I can add one package to the management console but not the other because it says a package with that name and version already exist although the name is indeed different, the version is the same.

SO, (TL;DR): How am I supposed to separate Visio and Project if it is in the same pacakge when creating two separate packages is not supported?

Friday, May 9, 2014 8:39 AM

Answers

• You say 'deploy to people', that's not supported for Office 2013 products.

If you publish to machines you can publish different XML files to different machines.

The user centric approach that Microsoft introduced with SC2012 is not possible for Office products.

Open support tickets and complain, that's our only chance.

Monday, May 12, 2014 9:33 AM

All replies

• Hi Miito,

Exact the same problem at a customer location.
    We have escalated this issue to Microsoft Premier Support but still no solution.

Friday, May 9, 2014 11:07 AM
  • You need to modify the deployment configuration XML file to disable shortcuts. Maybe create multiple DeploymentConfig.xml files? DeploymentConfig_VisioOnly.xml, DeploymentConfig_ProjectOnly.xml .. ?

How to disable an Office 2013 application:

• Open a Deployment Configuration File with a text editor such as Notepad and search for "Applications."
      • Search for the Office application you would like to disable, for example "Access 2013."

• Change the value of "Enabled" from "true" to "false."

• Save the Deployment Configuration File.

• Add Office 2013 App-V Package with new Deployment Configuration File.

• How to disable shortcuts for Office 2013 applications:

• Open a Deployment Configuration File in Notepad and search for “Shortcuts”.

• To disable certain shortcuts, delete or comment out the specific shortcuts you don’t want. You must keep the subsystem present and enabled. For example, in the example below delete the Microsoft Access shortcuts, while keeping the subsystems <shortcut> </shortcut> intact to disable the Microsoft Access shortcut.

• Save the Deployment Configuration File.

• Re-publish Office 2013 App-V Package with new Deployment Configuration File.

http://technet.microsoft.com/library/dn481351.aspx

Friday, May 9, 2014 11:17 AM
  • the challenge is that tiny sentence in the description linked above:

" since Office 2013 App-V Package is always published globally."   So, as it is published globally, there is no differentiation between user groups.

Falko

Twitter @kirk_tn   |   Blog kirxblog   |   Web kirx.org   |   Fireside appvbook.com

Friday, May 9, 2014 12:04 PM
  • Indeed, as long as each users user a dedicated machine the different DeploymentConfig.XML files can help you out. But if multiple users use one machine you have to use AppLocker to block Applications.

Friday, May 9, 2014 12:48 PM
  • In my opinion the above options are good as a workaround.

But why is it not possible to create a separate package for Visio 2013 and a separate package for Project 2013?

Friday, May 9, 2014 1:31 PM
  • Hi Ben,

Thanks for your information.
    We can implement your proposed solution, but don't know how to publish 1 Package with 3 different deployment config xml files based on 2 different applications.

Because of the problem we have 1 package with both Microsoft Project 2013 and Visio 2013 virtualized.

Now we want to have 3 possible deployments based on AD groups:
    1 deployment for people who use both applications (both apps enabled)
    1 deployment for people who only use Visio (Project disabled)
    1 deployment for people who only use Project (Visio disabled)

But I think you can only have one deployment config applied on a App-V server.
    If you think we can use more deployment configs based on AD-groups please show me how.

Kind Regards,

Paul Cobben

Monday, May 12, 2014 7:41 AM
  • You say 'deploy to people', that's not supported for Office 2013 products.

If you publish to machines you can publish different XML files to different machines.

The user centric approach that Microsoft introduced with SC2012 is not possible for Office products.

Open support tickets and complain, that's our only chance.

Monday, May 12, 2014 9:33 AM