none
Could Windows 7 Group Policy UAC settings stop AVG from auto-updating? RRS feed

• Question

• Here is my situation (and hopefully it's clear):

1. I have an environment with Windows 7 Pro machines (public workstations in a library).
    2. The machines are managed by a Windows 2008 server utilizing group policy.
    3. The machines utilize AVG 2011 Business edition for their anti-virus needs.

My problem seems to be that AVG will not auto-update (it did prior to the Windows 7 migration from Windows XP). The major difference is I now utilize UAC at the Group Policy level to restrict users from installing undesired software. Right now I'd like to believe that my UAC Group Policy is causing my grief. I've taken several machines out of their current AD container and I drop them into the Computer Container that has no group policies, and AVG will update just fine, but once back in my desired container, it will not auto-update.

Here are my current UAC group policy settings:

1. User Account Control: Admin Approval Mode for the Built-in Administrator account [Disabled]

2. User Account Control: Allow UIAccess applications to prompt for elevation without using the secure desktop [Disabled]

3. User Account Control: Behavior of the elevation prompt for administrators in Admin Approval Mode [Prompt for consent]

4. User Account Control: Behavior of the elevation prompt for standard users [Prompt for credentials]

5. User Account Control: Detect application installations and prompt for elevation [Enabled]

6. User Account Control: Only elevate executables that are signed and validated [Disabled]

7. User Account Control: Only elevate UIAccess applications that are installed in secure locations [Enabled]

8. User Account Control: Run all administrators in Admin Approval Mode [Enabled]

9. User Account Control: Switch to the secure desktop when prompting for elevation [Enabled]

10. User Account Control: Virtualize file and registry write failures to per-user locations [Enabled]

I'm hoping someone can give me some pointers or insight on this. Or heck, just another general direction to possible look in.

Thanks!
    Thursday, October 20, 2011 8:18 PM

Answers