none
problems with the Technet spam filter

Question

• When the Technet spam filter improperly marks a legitimate post as spam the contents of the post cannot be modified.  The contents of the post are lost.

It is extra work to have to copy each post before clicking submit.

Please fix the spam filter so that when there is an inappropriate flag as spam the contents of the post ca be saved.

Tuesday, May 7, 2019 11:11 PM

Answers

• These forums were never meant for that. If I were going to compose a reply for more than a couple of minutes I would do it in notepad or some other text editor then paste result in a reply. Too many things can happen in an hour long forum reply editing session.

Regards, Dave Patrick ....
    Microsoft Certified Professional
    Microsoft MVP [Windows Server] Datacenter Management

Disclaimer: This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties or guarantees, and confers no rights.

Wednesday, May 8, 2019 12:41 PM
  • I see now that it was user questionsformicrosoftproducts that received the misleading message, and was unable to submit an edit to a post. This is a new issue to me. User questionsformicrosoftproducts has more than enough points for the account to be verified. The spam filter appears to me to be flawed. We don't know what triggers it. I have never experienced the problem, but I assume I could.

I would email fissues [at] microsoft [dot] com, with details. But I don't see how the forum admins at that address can research the issue, unless they can duplicate the problem. From the deleted posts in this thread it appears that questionsformicrosoftproducts attempted to duplicate the problem, but failed.

Richard Mueller - MVP Enterprise Mobility (Identity and Access)

Sunday, May 12, 2019 11:30 AM

All replies

• The message about a post being flagged as spam is very misleading. I believe the post is not deleted, unless the user deletes it, or fails to submit the post. Instead, the user needs to have their account verified. I don't believe any spam filter is involved.

Instead the message should be fixed, so people are not confused. People should be told exactly what they need to do to have their account verified. The only restriction on accounts that are not verified, is the user cannot include hyperlinks or images in a post.

Edit: Are you aware of any cases where someone with more than a few recognition points has had this problem? Are you aware of cases where the flagged post was deleted (other than by the user)? Most of the time when I can check, the post remains and is not actually flagged abusive.

Tuesday, May 7, 2019 11:19 PM
  • Are you aware of cases where the flagged post was deleted (other than by the user)? 

In almost all cases I think the spam message interrupts / blocks the Submit process so technically it just never posts.

Disclaimer: This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties or guarantees, and confers no rights.

Tuesday, May 7, 2019 11:29 PM
  • Dave,
    Isn't it true that we have seen many cases where the user said their post was deleted by a spam filter, but we were able to find the post and verify that it was not flagged abusive? If there are cases where the user could not submit their post, we would not be able to verify this.

I checked all deleted posts in 2019 in a forum I moderate, the TechNet Wiki Discussion forum. Of about 240 deleted threads, all but about 4 were clearly spam. The rest were cases where the user that posted deleted their own post, either because they solved the problem, or realized they posted in the wrong forum. I found no cases where a spam filter deleted a post that was not clearly spam. It will take me some time to check the other forums I moderate.

In many cases the user stated that they could post, but could not edit. It was when they tried to edit their question that they got the misleading message. I don't know how to check that. Perhaps their edit could not be saved.

Wednesday, May 8, 2019 12:24 AM
  • Richard, that's true as well and it could be in those cases the edit was what triggered message and blocked submit. I agree it isn't a spam filter at play, its just the spam message code blocks the Submit button code whether a new post or an attempt at editing an existing.

Wednesday, May 8, 2019 12:37 AM
  • In another thread I had spent more than one hour adding detailed information into a post.

When submit was clicked it was flagged as spam.

There was a pop up that appeared which had an option to indicate it was not spam.

That opened a new webpage.

The post disappeared.

There was no option to save the post.

There was no option to modify the post.

Wednesday, May 8, 2019 2:55 AM
  • another test

I/O Port 0x00000000-0x00000CF7    PCI Express Root Complex
    I/O Port 0x00000000-0x00000CF7    Direct memory access controller

Memory Address 0x70000000-0x7FFFFFFF    NVIDIA Quadro K4100M
    Memory Address 0x70000000-0x7FFFFFFF    Intel(R) Xeon(R) processor E3 - 1200 v3/4th Gen Core processor PCI Express x16 Controller - 0C01

I/O Port 0x00000070-0x00000070    Motherboard resources
    I/O Port 0x00000070-0x00000070    System CMOS/real time clock

I/O Port 0x00006000-0x0000607F    NVIDIA Quadro K4100M
    I/O Port 0x00006000-0x0000607F    Intel(R) Xeon(R) processor E3 - 1200 v3/4th Gen Core processor PCI Express x16 Controller - 0C01

Memory Address 0xFED45000-0xFED8FFFF    Motherboard resources
    Memory Address 0xFED45000-0xFED8FFFF    PCI Express Root Complex

I/O Port 0x00003000-0x00004FFF    PCI Express Upstream Switch Port
    I/O Port 0x00003000-0x00004FFF    Intel(R) 8 Series/C220 Series PCI Express Root Port #7 - 8C1C
    I/O Port 0x00003000-0x00004FFF    PCI Express Downstream Switch Port

Memory Address 0xCC000000-0xD01FFFFF    PCI Express Upstream Switch Port
    Memory Address 0xCC000000-0xD01FFFFF    Intel(R) 8 Series/C220 Series PCI Express Root Port #7 - 8C1C
    Memory Address 0xCC000000-0xD01FFFFF    PCI Express Downstream Switch Port

Memory Address 0xD2100000-0xD21FFFFF    Intel(R) 8 Series/C220 Series PCI Express Root Port #5 - 8C18
    Memory Address 0xD2100000-0xD21FFFFF    Standard SATA AHCI Controller

I/O Port 0x00005000-0x00005FFF    Intel(R) 8 Series/C220 Series PCI Express Root Port #5 - 8C18
    I/O Port 0x00005000-0x00005FFF    Standard SATA AHCI Controller

IRQ 17    High Definition Audio Controller
    IRQ 17    Intel(R) 8 Series/C220 Series USB EHCI #1 - 8C26

Memory Address 0xA0000-0xBFFFF    PCI Express Root Complex
    Memory Address 0xA0000-0xBFFFF    Intel(R) Xeon(R) processor E3 - 1200 v3/4th Gen Core processor PCI Express x16 Controller - 0C01

Memory Address 0x60000000-0x6000FFFF    Motherboard resources
    Memory Address 0x60000000-0x6000FFFF    PCI Express Root Complex

Memory Address 0xD1000000-0xD1FFFFFF    NVIDIA Quadro K4100M
    Memory Address 0xD1000000-0xD1FFFFFF    Intel(R) Xeon(R) processor E3 - 1200 v3/4th Gen Core processor PCI Express x16 Controller - 0C01

I/O Port 0x0000FFFF-0x0000FFFF    Motherboard resources

Wednesday, May 8, 2019 3:03 AM
  • These forums were never meant for that. If I were going to compose a reply for more than a couple of minutes I would do it in notepad or some other text editor then paste result in a reply. Too many things can happen in an hour long forum reply editing session.

Wednesday, May 8, 2019 12:41 PM
  • I see now that it was user questionsformicrosoftproducts that received the misleading message, and was unable to submit an edit to a post. This is a new issue to me. User questionsformicrosoftproducts has more than enough points for the account to be verified. The spam filter appears to me to be flawed. We don't know what triggers it. I have never experienced the problem, but I assume I could.

I would email fissues [at] microsoft [dot] com, with details. But I don't see how the forum admins at that address can research the issue, unless they can duplicate the problem. From the deleted posts in this thread it appears that questionsformicrosoftproducts attempted to duplicate the problem, but failed.

Sunday, May 12, 2019 11:30 AM