Can and how to configure Word Document onlne to be readly-only also can't copy or download RRS feed

• Question

• Hi

I'm working on a project that would migrate Word document files from current server to a SP Document Library. 

I believe if the Word documents is set to read only for all our internal users that are not owners role then the users cannot download a copy, correct?

Is there a way to prevent users from using Copy & Past to create a version of it on their own PC version or online version of Word? 

Thank you.

Thank you

Monday, June 5, 2017 7:50 PM

Answers

• Hi IaJasmine,

I tested this in SP document Library, I go to Library settings and prevent documents from downloading in SharePoint Library. Then I sign in another account with read only permission, I found I can still download documents.

It seemed that if you have any permissions of these documents you can copy, download and sync them.

Your requirement cannot be achieved.

Regards,
    Emi Zhang
    TechNet Community Support

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they helped.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

• Marked as answer by laJasmine Thursday, July 6, 2017 3:48 PM
    Wednesday, June 7, 2017 9:46 AM
  • Hi IaJasmine,

I tested again, I gave a user read-only permission as shown in the following figure:

But I can still download files from Document library:

Regards,
    Emi Zhang

If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Thursday, June 8, 2017 3:00 AM

All replies

• Hi IaJasmine,

I tested this in SP document Library, I go to Library settings and prevent documents from downloading in SharePoint Library. Then I sign in another account with read only permission, I found I can still download documents.

It seemed that if you have any permissions of these documents you can copy, download and sync them.

Your requirement cannot be achieved.

Regards,
    Emi Zhang

• Marked as answer by laJasmine Thursday, July 6, 2017 3:48 PM
    Wednesday, June 7, 2017 9:46 AM
  • I read some where that if the user is only given Read only permission then the user will not be able to download or edit the document in the Document Library.  So what I read is not true? 

I was just looking for a way to prevent users from Copy & Paste the Word Document in DL but now it seems worse than I thought based on your reply.  Can you double check again?  Thank you.

Thank you

Wednesday, June 7, 2017 3:59 PM
  • Hi IaJasmine,

I tested again, I gave a user read-only permission as shown in the following figure:

But I can still download files from Document library:

Regards,
    Emi Zhang

Thursday, June 8, 2017 3:00 AM