none
Message after running PSCONFIG

Question

• Unknow to me Services pack 1 for share point was installed as part of the automatic updates I then could not get into the web portal to get email, look at my file or get email on my smart phone. I received a message on the server desktop stating that I would have to run PSconfig before share point would work correct. I found a KB article that walked me through the processs in a command prompt. The PSConfig process said the it complted successfully and I rebooted the server, but I still get the same message on the desktop stating that I need to run PSconfig. I went into IIS and tried to started IIS but it states THE PROCESS CAN NOT ACCESS THE FILE BECAUSE THE FILE IS IN USE BY ANOTHER FILE. I ran NETSTAT-ano but port 80 is not in use. I found a KB doc on looking for the listening list in the registry but it does not exist in the location. All was well before the upgrade now i have no portals and I can not access email on the smart phones. I have repeated the PSCONFIG command several times but each time I reboot the server the same message comes up. Please help.  
    Gregory Gavin
    • Edited by BYTEBAK20 Monday, September 26, 2011 5:17 PM
    Monday, September 26, 2011 5:16 PM

Answers

• I think the message will remain.

According to:  http://support.microsoft.com/kb/2555251  [Issue 6]

This update adds the following alert to Windows Small Business Server 2011 Standard. The alert appears when a domain administrator logs on to a server that is running Windows Small Business Server 2011 Standard or a client computer. The alert appears if the PSConfig utility was not run after a SharePoint update was installed.

Windows Small Business Server 2011 Standard Health Alert

An update for Microsoft SharePoint Foundation 2010 was installed on your Small Business Server. You must now complete the installation process by running the PSConfig utility to update the SharePoint databases. If you do not run PSConfig, some features of the server may not function correctly. For information about how to run PSConfig, see Knowledge Base article 2580174 at http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkId=226610 . If you have already run PSConfig, you can ignore this message.

" If you have already run PSConfig, you can ignore this message. "

Monday, September 26, 2011 10:31 PM
  • It takes 24 hours and then goes away.  I am going from memory here, so I dont have the exact details, but basicaly what happens is that when SBS Update Roll Up 1 is installed a GPO is created in the root of the domain.  The GPO says "hey, search the event log on this server in the last 24 hours, and see if the error occurs stating that PS Config needs to be run.  If that event id exist, pop up a message on all the admin desktops"  So if you patch your server, and get this message, run the PSconfig and wait 24 hours and the error will go away. 

And really, if your customers are seeing the message, I need to ask, why are they logging in as domain admins? 

Jeremy
    • Proposed as answer by Mapi_Jeremy Thursday, October 13, 2011 5:43 PM
    • Marked as answer by Rick TanModerator Thursday, October 20, 2011 8:48 AM
    Thursday, October 13, 2011 4:49 AM

All replies

• What's the output of (get-spserver $env:computername).NeedsUpgrade from  Sharepoint powershell.
    Monday, September 26, 2011 5:35 PM
  • I think the message will remain.

According to:  http://support.microsoft.com/kb/2555251  [Issue 6]

This update adds the following alert to Windows Small Business Server 2011 Standard. The alert appears when a domain administrator logs on to a server that is running Windows Small Business Server 2011 Standard or a client computer. The alert appears if the PSConfig utility was not run after a SharePoint update was installed.

Windows Small Business Server 2011 Standard Health Alert

An update for Microsoft SharePoint Foundation 2010 was installed on your Small Business Server. You must now complete the installation process by running the PSConfig utility to update the SharePoint databases. If you do not run PSConfig, some features of the server may not function correctly. For information about how to run PSConfig, see Knowledge Base article 2580174 at http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkId=226610 . If you have already run PSConfig, you can ignore this message.

" If you have already run PSConfig, you can ignore this message. "

Monday, September 26, 2011 10:31 PM
  • Okay, here’s my issue.  I ran the PSConfig command and everything succeeds;  which can be verified by running “(get-spserver $env:computername).NeedsUpgrade” from  Sharepoint powershell and getting a ‘false’ response, but I get the Health Alert every time a network admin account logs into any machine.  I understand that you can safely ignore this as long as the proper steps have been done, but what kind of solution is that???  It’s an annoying popup that happens EVERYTIME a network admin account logs in, I don’t really want to tell my customers that it’s normal to ignore a health alert when they log in.  Is there any way to get this new feature to stop scaring my customers?

Thursday, October 13, 2011 1:04 AM
  • It takes 24 hours and then goes away.  I am going from memory here, so I dont have the exact details, but basicaly what happens is that when SBS Update Roll Up 1 is installed a GPO is created in the root of the domain.  The GPO says "hey, search the event log on this server in the last 24 hours, and see if the error occurs stating that PS Config needs to be run.  If that event id exist, pop up a message on all the admin desktops"  So if you patch your server, and get this message, run the PSconfig and wait 24 hours and the error will go away. 

And really, if your customers are seeing the message, I need to ask, why are they logging in as domain admins? 

Jeremy
    • Proposed as answer by Mapi_Jeremy Thursday, October 13, 2011 5:43 PM
    • Marked as answer by Rick TanModerator Thursday, October 20, 2011 8:48 AM
    Thursday, October 13, 2011 4:49 AM
  • Yeah I just noticed this morning the pop-ups have gone away, it took 2 days but I think that’s just the way that 24hrs worked out.  It would have been nice to know that the popups would eventually stop and saved me a lot of searching, but as long as it’s gone I’m happy.  As for my customer’s logging in as network admins,  I have a handful of them that choose to do their own basic admin stuff, ie add users, join computers, reset passwords, ect.  So they wouldn’t log in that often as a network admin but I didn’t like the idea of when they do that they’d see that popup.

Thursday, October 13, 2011 4:39 PM
  • I have the same exact issue.  I have run psconfig numerous times and the updates are all successful, I reboot the server then verify by running “(get-spserver $env:computername).NeedsUpgrade” and get a 'false' response.  Every time an administrator logs off and back in, I get the Windows Small Business Server 2011 Standard Health Alert message.  It has been over 2 months since the SharePoint update and the messages keep happening.  How do I fix it so the messages go away?
    Wednesday, June 26, 2013 9:19 PM