[Severe Desperation] VISTA won't log-in after Check Disk Utility (Error loading ... ) RRS feed

• Question

• Hello all, I'm a rookie on this board and I'm desperately trying to fix my computer. HOpefully some experts can give me some hope.

My computer freezes quite often, it just happens to freeze randomly even when I was doing nothing on the computer. So I researched on the issue and happend to found a recommendation to run disk defrag and run Check Disk Utility.

Just an hour ago, I ran the "check disk utility" against my C: (where OS is installed). It said It can't be ran since C: is in use but I was able to schedule it to run before computer starts up the next time.

So I did and check disk operated on my next restart. It took quite a while and froze in the middle of the check disk. So I was forced to restart the computer and it re-check the disk again. THis time it deleted a lot of files/security objects? (like a 1000 of these things were deleted) and then re-written again and replaced with other objects. (I'm sorry I didn't take note what these objects are but theere were a lot)

Then it continued the check disk and finished. Now when VISTA started up, I logged in as usual but it turned into a black screen with only the cursor and a dialog box (Error Loading NVCPL.dll. Access Denied)

I can't log back in. But it seems like everything is still there since the HDD partition with VISTA in it still shows my previous size.

How can I repair this!? such that I don't have to reformat my OS...

I need help desperately...thanks in advance...
    Wednesday, October 29, 2008 3:18 AM

Answers

• Hi,

Thank you for posting.

NVCPL.dll belongs to NVIDIA Control Panel. The problem is mostly can be caused by the file corrupt. You can try to go to Safe Mode, remove the NVIDIA Control Panel and NVIDIA driver to resolve the problem.

For your reference:

Safe Mode

========

1. Restart the computer.

2. Keep pressing the F8 key until the Windows Startup menu appears.

3. Choose Safe Mode, and press Enter.

You can reinstall the NVIDIA Control Panel and NVIDIA driver in Normal Mode.

Thanks.

Thursday, October 30, 2008 7:21 AM