FTP with UAGg RRS feed

• Question

• I'm having a problem publishing FTP through UAG and I can't seem to figure out why. I have checked all the other enterires here but to no avail.

I'm using the Generic Client app to publish FTP.

When I try to connect either thorugh IE or FileZilla I get the following errors:

1) IE initialy prompts for authentication but then comes back with that the page cannot be displayed.

2) FileZilla shows the following message "Failed to retrieve the directory listing".

In both instances I can see the connection going through the SSL tunnel, no errors are being shown in the web monitor or TMG logs.

Any ideas anyone.

Darren

Monday, September 12, 2011 3:30 PM

Answers

• Hi Amig@. FTP consists of two connections. The control connection and the data connection. The control connection uses TCP port 21 and is the one used for authentication and negotiating some settings. If you have declared TCP 21 in the generic application then this explains that the authentication succeeds. After that you request data (ls) and for that, the data channel must be negotiated. If using Active FTP (PORT mode) then the client will send its IP address and a random port. The server will open a new connection from his TCP 20 to the random port on client's IP. This will not work through UAG. The other option is using Passive mode. In this case the data connection is opened from the client to a random port that the server specifies. This will work thriugh UAG. In the generic application you will have to declare port 21 plus a range (first-last) of dynamic ports that the FTP server will use. Consult the FTP server documentation to check if the server will use a reduced range of ports. Otherwise you will have to include 1024-65535.

Hope it helps

// Raúl - I love this game
    • Marked as answer by DarrenBonehill Tuesday, September 13, 2011 1:21 PM
    Tuesday, September 13, 2011 12:07 PM

All replies

• Hi Amig@. Only FTP server in passive mode can be published. Check that both your ftp client and server are using passive mode

Regards

Monday, September 12, 2011 3:45 PM
  • I'm sure that I have this set correctly but just cannot get it to work :(

What are the settings to publish the app and then what do I need to enter in IE to connect through to the FTP site ?

Tuesday, September 13, 2011 11:44 AM
  • Hi Amig@. FTP consists of two connections. The control connection and the data connection. The control connection uses TCP port 21 and is the one used for authentication and negotiating some settings. If you have declared TCP 21 in the generic application then this explains that the authentication succeeds. After that you request data (ls) and for that, the data channel must be negotiated. If using Active FTP (PORT mode) then the client will send its IP address and a random port. The server will open a new connection from his TCP 20 to the random port on client's IP. This will not work through UAG. The other option is using Passive mode. In this case the data connection is opened from the client to a random port that the server specifies. This will work thriugh UAG. In the generic application you will have to declare port 21 plus a range (first-last) of dynamic ports that the FTP server will use. Consult the FTP server documentation to check if the server will use a reduced range of ports. Otherwise you will have to include 1024-65535.

Hope it helps

• Marked as answer by DarrenBonehill Tuesday, September 13, 2011 1:21 PM
    Tuesday, September 13, 2011 12:07 PM
  • That makes perfect sense, I had just figured that out before you posted the above. Thankyou for your swift responses.

Darren

Tuesday, September 13, 2011 12:12 PM
  • No need to thank...but please take a second to mark as answers the helpful posts Regards
    Tuesday, September 13, 2011 1:09 PM