Program crashes with "missing dll error" - but it's there! RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

My company uses a rather old app released by an Australian Govt department called the Reforestation Modelling Tool <Reforestation Modelling Tool (link is external)>

It was released over 5 years ago when the current version of Windows was Windows 7. The program is crashing under non-upgraded Windows 10 (Pro) environments, whereas for environments upgraded from Windows 7 to Windows 10, it runs fine. I would have said that the crashing was restricted to VMs, but I have a VM which was upgraded from Win 7 and it runs ok on there. The exact error message that occurs when a calculation operation is attempted is:

"Could not load file or assembly NIS.FullCAM.dll or one of its dependents. The specified module could not be found"

That .dll file is there in the program directory and thus should be found. Therefore that would seem to point to a dependency missing.I have tried Windows 7 & Windows XP compatibility modes to no effect.

Does anyone have any insight into how I could go about getting this program to work under non-upgraded Windows 10 environments?

Thanks,

GAM (Glen A McAllister)

Monday, May 15, 2017 3:12 AM

Answers

• Hi,

The answer to this was that the application installer for some reason no longer included the Visual Studio 2010 C++ runtime libraries (x86) installer which (of course) was required for the dll in question (& others probably) to run.

This was found out by finally managing to contact the developer at the Government Department in question. Running the installer separately fixed all broken installations.

Thanks to all for your contributions.

Regards,

GAM

Tuesday, June 20, 2017 7:35 AM

All replies

• Which version of windows 1607 or 1703?  Using win + r then winver please post the version and build.

See if any information may be found in the cbs log by checking the operating system on the non-upgraded Windows 10 pro environments.

If 1607 run administrative command prompt sfc /scannow and dism /online /cleanup-image /restorehealth

If 1703 run sfc /scannow

Did this complete successfully or display integrity violations?

If there were any integrity violations or failure to complete or corrections you may be able to find more information by viewing the CBS log and or DISM logs.

Monday, May 15, 2017 9:06 AM
  • Hi GAM,

According to your description, the Reforestation Modelling Tool runs fine in Windows 10, but keep crashing in non-upgraded Windows 10 (Pro) environments.

What is non-upgraded Windows 10 (Pro) environments? Windows 7/8.1/XP or other system.

Since it can work fine in Windows 10 on VM, why not upgrade VM to Windows 10?

In fact, this app belongs to Australian government, you’d better ask for help from the official when you meet with issue, we don’t use this app and have no condition to test it.

Just a little advise, you could re-register that .dll file to check result.

To register (or re-register) a file, type:

regsvr32 <filename>.dll

or

regsvr32 <path>\<filename>.dll

where <path> is the path to the file, and <filename> is the name of the file.

Good luck

Regards

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Tuesday, May 16, 2017 1:59 AM
  • Hi there,

Thanks for your reply.

Windows 10 version is 1607, build 14393.

sfc /scannow produced no problems.

dism command said the restore operation completed successfully.

I then rebooted & re-tried the program - same result.

What would I be looking for in the CBS log? There's nothing relating to the specific dll failure in there.

Thanks,

GAM

Tuesday, May 16, 2017 2:24 AM
  • "Could not load file or assembly NIS.FullCAM.dll or one of its dependents. The specified module could not be found"

Use ProcMon to find out what is "missing" (when an attempt is made to load it).  Alternatively you could try using DependencyWalker in its trace mode.  Beware that "missing" may only mean "access denied" being obscured.  I.e., the symptom may really be a permissions problem in disguise, due to increased security measures being used in the newer OS.

Good luck

Robert Aldwinckle
    ---

Tuesday, May 16, 2017 4:04 AM
  • Hi Teemo,

Well - where to start?

No - from re-reading of my original post I think I was quite clear in stating that it didn't work on Windows 10 environments that had not been upgraded from Windows 7. That is what I meant by "non-upgraded Windows 10 environments". In environments that had been upgraded from Windows 7, it worked fine, so you got that completely the wrong way around. It does not matter if it is Windows 10 on a physical or virtual machine. What is important is if it has been upgraded from Windows 7 (works) or not (doesn't).

I am quite aware that it is an Australian Government application as I am an Australian. The link I provided in my initial post goes to the Australian Government Department of Energy and the Environment web site page where you can download the application, which for some strange reason, you felt the need to re-post. I have already gone to considerable trouble seeking support for the application from the department, but have not been given any so far, hence my posting here as my company has an approaching deadline involving use of this app. I am also aware that you do not provide support for this app. I am not seeking support for the app per se, but the type of error that I am encountering; i.e. a missing dll error and the circumstances that might have brought that about.

Finally, I have tried a manual re-registration of the dll, which was unsuccessful, giving a message that it failed to load and indicating problems with dependent .dll files, which is consistent with my original post.

Regards,

GAM

Thursday, May 18, 2017 8:22 AM
  •  have tried a manual re-registration of the dll, which was unsuccessful, giving a message that it failed to load and indicating problems with dependent .dll files, which is consistent with my original post.

DependencyWalker can help with that too, either just for the map of entry points or for tracing regsvr32.exe when it is run.

Robert Aldwinckle
    ---

Thursday, May 18, 2017 11:40 AM
  • Hi,

The answer to this was that the application installer for some reason no longer included the Visual Studio 2010 C++ runtime libraries (x86) installer which (of course) was required for the dll in question (& others probably) to run.

This was found out by finally managing to contact the developer at the Government Department in question. Running the installer separately fixed all broken installations.

Thanks to all for your contributions.

Regards,

GAM

Tuesday, June 20, 2017 7:35 AM