msconfig RRS feed

• Question

• Msconfig is missing. Where can I download a legit copy?

It was probably removed during a virus cleanup.

Thanks

Monday, September 26, 2011 7:09 PM

Answers

• It is stored on the install disc under the I386 Directory as Msconfig.ex_

meaning it is compressed and you need to extract it from the disc to your windows system 32 directory. Insert the disc in your drive, in my example the cd/dvd drive will be a D:, it can and should be changed to the current letter of the drive. Type the following in a command prompt inside windows as follows

extract D:\I386\msconfig.ex_ C:\Windows\System32\msconfig.exe                 

and press enter. If it doesn't work, you will need to retype it, paying closer attention to the spaces, there are only two in the entire command, one following the word extract, and one between the \msconfig.ex_ and the C:\ where the extracted (and now expanded) file will be placed.

"http://support.microsoft.com/fixit/default.aspx/". This is MICROSOFT'S new, FREE, fully automated, anonymous support portal, which can help users resolve windows and other product issues with a few mouse clicks. BOOKMARK THIS SITE, EVERYBODY !!!
    Tuesday, September 27, 2011 5:08 AM
  • Thanks. I already figured out it was likely malicious by the warning signs of offsite for an official MS product and a VB script to boot.

I have resolved the issue by copying the file from another one of my machines.

Flatfoot
    Tuesday, September 27, 2011 1:14 AM

All replies

• Dont download the above VBS script, it will not restore msonfig

Las D Rashid, take more care with your posts.

the VBS contains the following.

Set WshShell = WScript.CreateObject("WScript.Shell")
    With WScript.CreateObject("WScript.Shell")

On Error Resume Next

.RegDelete "HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Policies\System\DisableRegistryTools"
    .RegDelete "HKCU\Software\Policies\Microsoft\Windows\System\DisableCMD"
    .RegDelete "HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Policies\System\DisableTaskMgr"
    .RegDelete "HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\policies\system\DisableTaskMgr"

End With

Mybox = MsgBox(jobfunc & enab & vbCR & "Restore_Finished!", 4096, t)

MCP, MCTS, MCTS: Exchagne 2007
    Tuesday, September 27, 2011 12:59 AM
  • Thanks. I already figured out it was likely malicious by the warning signs of offsite for an official MS product and a VB script to boot.

I have resolved the issue by copying the file from another one of my machines.

Flatfoot
    Tuesday, September 27, 2011 1:14 AM
  • Good work, I could not find a download from Microsoft for Msconfig either. Only and update for the "Tools" tab.

MCP, MCTS, MCTS: Exchagne 2007
    Tuesday, September 27, 2011 1:17 AM
  • It is stored on the install disc under the I386 Directory as Msconfig.ex_

meaning it is compressed and you need to extract it from the disc to your windows system 32 directory. Insert the disc in your drive, in my example the cd/dvd drive will be a D:, it can and should be changed to the current letter of the drive. Type the following in a command prompt inside windows as follows

extract D:\I386\msconfig.ex_ C:\Windows\System32\msconfig.exe                 

and press enter. If it doesn't work, you will need to retype it, paying closer attention to the spaces, there are only two in the entire command, one following the word extract, and one between the \msconfig.ex_ and the C:\ where the extracted (and now expanded) file will be placed.

"http://support.microsoft.com/fixit/default.aspx/". This is MICROSOFT'S new, FREE, fully automated, anonymous support portal, which can help users resolve windows and other product issues with a few mouse clicks. BOOKMARK THIS SITE, EVERYBODY !!!
    Tuesday, September 27, 2011 5:08 AM