Adding Office causes MDT to stop at sysprep and display "Can not find c:\LTIBootStrap.vbs" RRS feed

• Question

• I'm new to MDT.  I can use the standard TS template to install, sysprep and capture a vanilla Windows 8.1 to an image and deploy that image to a new computer. No problem.

I added MS Office 2013 as an application.  If try to add Office 2013 to the reference image, by selecting it in the setup wizard, MDT stops at the sysprep stage, the reference machine reboots, goes through the "we are setting thing up for you...", then displays "Can not find LTIBootStrap.vbs".

I'm using a Generation 2 VM for the reference image, with the x64 boot iso media.  The only way to start it is to change the boot order from file "bootmgfw.efi" back to the .iso.  The capture stage then continues.  The captured image then seems to be corrupt as the local list is blank so the deployment cannot continue.

Why does installing Office 2013 to the reference image cause this problem?  Vanilla OS images don't have this problem.  What am I doing wrong?  I'm quite new to MDT but can't find an answer to this.

Thanks.

Thursday, July 24, 2014 1:02 PM

Answers

• I've solved this myself.

The solution was to use a generation 1 VM, instead of generation 2.  (I wanted to use generation 2 for the performance benefit).
    • Proposed as answer by Brad Bedia Monday, July 28, 2014 2:04 AM
    • Marked as answer by Keith GarnerMVP Monday, July 28, 2014 5:05 PM
    Thursday, July 24, 2014 4:18 PM

All replies

• I've solved this myself.

The solution was to use a generation 1 VM, instead of generation 2.  (I wanted to use generation 2 for the performance benefit).
    • Proposed as answer by Brad Bedia Monday, July 28, 2014 2:04 AM
    • Marked as answer by Keith GarnerMVP Monday, July 28, 2014 5:05 PM
    Thursday, July 24, 2014 4:18 PM
  • I am running into the same error. Win 8.1 build 9600 ISO install to a gen 2 VM. Office 2013 32 bit.  I can get the TS to run all the way through and capture if I leave windows updates off in the TS.  As soon as I turn on the updates I get the error (Can not find LTIBootStrap.vbs) at sysprep and capture stage.  Good to know it worked for you on gen 1 VM.  I am trying that now and will report.   
    Sunday, July 27, 2014 8:42 PM
  • This solved my issue as well.   I was using Gen 2 VM with a 64 bit PE.  I switched to 32 bit and Gen 1. Windows and Office installed, updates completed, and MDT sys prepped and captured with no issues.  My guess is an update for Office 2013 breaks it. A security update?  Thanks for the post and the resolution LeeOliver.

Monday, July 28, 2014 2:08 AM