none
O365 business essentials plan - adding users

Question

• Hi,

I have a O365 business essentials plan with 1 license. Am trying to develop a portal using this license and I need to add users to access this portal (read the contents and upload documents). I see that am able to add users "without license" and these users are able to access the sharepoint online site with contribute access.

Are these users unlimited? Or is there a cap on the number of "without license" users?

• Edited by Cutloo Saturday, February 4, 2017 1:26 AM
    Wednesday, February 1, 2017 3:05 AM

All replies

• Hi Cutloo,

In Office 365 for business, users need licenses to use services such as Outlook, SharePoint Online, Lync Online, and other services.

Internal users within your organization must have SharePoint licensed assigned to access and use the SharePoint site. Unlicensed internal users are not allowed to access the internal sites of the organization. The license is required for each user account before users can start using the online services.

If you want to share contents with external users outside of your organization who can access your SharePoint Online sites and documents but does not have a license for your SharePoint Online or Microsoft Office 365 subscription, you can use the external sharing features of SharePoint Online.

It is able to have 500 unique external users on the P plans, and 10,000 for the E plans at no cost.

But external users are not employees, contractors, or onsite agents for either you or your affiliates. They will not have the exact same capabilities as a full, paid, licensed member within your organization.

For more information about external sharing for SharePoint Online environment, please read the article below:

https://support.office.com/en-us/article/Manage-external-sharing-for-your-SharePoint-Online-environment-c8a462eb-0723-4b0b-8d0a-70feafe4be85

Best Regards,

Linda Zhang

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com

Thursday, February 2, 2017 2:47 AM
  • Thank you Linda for your answer.

My question is on the users that we add "with no product license". (When you add a new user in the O365 admin portal , in the section Product licenses you can choose 'no product license')

What are the limitations for these type of users?

I tested logging into the O365 site using a user credential that has no product license, I was able to browse through the site and upload content. Does it mean that these users can access the site and dont need license?

Saturday, February 4, 2017 1:42 AM
  • Hi Cutloo,

Microsoft recognizes assigning licenses to users that are synced to the Office 365 services is cumbersome for larger tenants, to alleviate this pain point, a temporary change has been released to SharePoint Online that will allow users to access SharePoint Online even without license. This change will only be in force during the period that we are making it easier to assign licenses to users in Office 365. It will be evaluated for additional changes to the service at a future point in time.

The limitation for unlicensed users is that they have no access to OneDrive for Business.

For more information, you could read the blog below:

https://blog.blksthl.com/2015/02/17/office-365-news-ununounced-microsoft-change-to-sharepoint-online-access/

Best regards,

Linda Zhang

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com

Tuesday, February 14, 2017 2:42 AM