none
Software and version needed to use publish in R tools for Visual Studio+SQL 2016 RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

I checked this video about using Visual Studio + R tools + SQL 2016. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dFKIT2OitWQ

Everything is working until I get to the publish portion of the video. The author does not tell us what he is using and does a publish without problem. I'm thinking my problem could be because I'm using free tools.

I'm using Visual Studio 2015 community, SQL 2016 Express and R tools. Always getting this error :"Publishing failed. Exception: Could not deploy package.". I'm not sure sure where to look to have more details.

Thank You

• Edited by PDumont Monday, October 24, 2016 2:50 PM
    Monday, October 24, 2016 2:35 PM

Answers

• Hello

Free tools are fine. I'd try and separate publishing steps. Try first create dacpac (use Publish With Options... command and select DACPAC as target). Then try and publish dacpac (aka Data Tier Application) using SQL management studio

https://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/mt204009.aspx

Thanks

Mikhail Arkhipov (Microsoft)

Monday, October 24, 2016 4:54 PM

All replies

• Hello

Free tools are fine. I'd try and separate publishing steps. Try first create dacpac (use Publish With Options... command and select DACPAC as target). Then try and publish dacpac (aka Data Tier Application) using SQL management studio

https://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/mt204009.aspx

Thanks

Mikhail Arkhipov (Microsoft)

Monday, October 24, 2016 4:54 PM
  • I wrote a reply and deleted it. So new update

I installed SSDT from the link you gave me. Not sure I had it but better same than sorry. I did a DACPAC in the past but did not know ow to import it. I tried again to understand SQL Management Studio but still does  not understand how to do a publish of the DACPAC I have. I decided to check with SQL Server Object Explorer in Visual Studio community and found a DACPAC publish that i used. That part did work. I have error in my code but at lest I'm importing in the DB. 

Now I need to understand how to deal with the Stored Proc created in Visual Studio that is referring to my R code and the SQL Query. I don't fully understand that part of the code when in SQL Management. How they are called. " @script = N'_RCODE_' , @input_data_1 = N'_INPUT_QUERY_'"of. When in visual studio it's all working. And like i stated in the video it seem so easy to go to SQL Management to test the SP. Again the video is testing from VS and SQL Server Object Explorer so maybe it's normal to have different results.

Thank You

Monday, October 24, 2016 9:27 PM
  • Hi,

Everything is working fine now. The main problem was when publishing, my connection string had "\\" instead of "\".  When I tried my test R code, I needed them to find the server. I'm not sure why but it was working. When I did a publish the DACPAC it was working fine but "\\" was causing the error I reported. Would be nice if the software would tell us it was not able to reach the server but we can't have everything.

Thank you for the hints that help me find my problem.

Tuesday, October 25, 2016 5:30 PM