none
Rename-NetAdapter : {Object Exists} An attempt was made to create an object and the object name already existed. RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

I'm currently having issues with renaming a network adapter, i'm trying to rename an adapter to the work 'MAIN' i've tried many different options for example this one i tried this.

https://superuser.com/questions/1267288/network-name-assigned-to-non-existent-object

And also a few other GUID fixes but for some reason this name is out there and i've even went a ahead and wiped the whole registry and still it remains.

Any idea?

Windows PowerShell
    Copyright (C) Microsoft Corporation. All rights reserved.

PS C:\WINDOWS\system32> Get-NetAdapter

Name                      InterfaceDescription                    ifIndex Status       MacAddress        LinkS
                                                                                                              peed
    ----                      --------------------                    ------- ------       ----------        -----
    Ethernet 2                Realtek PCIe GBE Family Controller #8        10 Disconnected 74-DA-38-C2-3E-32 0 bps
    Ethernet                  Realtek PCIe GBE Family Controller #9         7 Up           2C-4D-54-D8-7D-4F ...ps

PS C:\WINDOWS\system32> Get-NetAdapter -Name Ethernet | Rename-NetAdapter -NewName MAIN
    Rename-NetAdapter : {Object Exists} An attempt was made to create an object and the object name already
    existed.
    At line:1 char:33
    + Get-NetAdapter -Name Ethernet | Rename-NetAdapter -NewName MAIN
    +                                 ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
        + CategoryInfo          : ResourceExists: (MSFT_NetAdapter... = "1234-i5-1"):ROOT/StandardCimv2/MSFT_NetA
       dapter) [Rename-NetAdapter], CimException
        + FullyQualifiedErrorId : Windows System Error 698,Rename-NetAdapter

Tuesday, February 26, 2019 4:31 PM

All replies

• Have you tried another name? Just out of curiosity to see if it works.  ;-)

Live long and prosper!

(79,108,97,102|%{[char]$_})-join''

Wednesday, February 27, 2019 1:06 AM