none
Access/Rights problem RRS feed

• Question

• Hi guys

I am at a new company and administer GPOs here. When trying to run gpresult /h I get an access denied error message. If I just run the user part of gpresult /h it is no problem. The problem is related to the machine policy part.

If I run gpresult /r the output displays ok for the user and the machine part. I can even redirect the output to a file.

Now I noticed there is a similar problem with bcdedit /export. Here I get this message: "A required privilege is not held by the client."

I am doing this with a domain user which is member of the local administrators group in an elevated command prompt. So I suggest this is a GPO or somethinig which is blocking that. My first tought was about UAC, but it seems configured corretly:

Anyone got an idea where the problem could be?

Thursday, May 16, 2019 2:35 PM

All replies

• Seriously?
    Friday, May 17, 2019 7:26 AM
  • Hi,

Sorry for the mistake.

Based on my research, if an “Access Denied”, message when gpresult running. Try to reset the local WMI Repository using the following command:

winmgmt /resetrepository

And update group policy using the following command

Gpupdate

or the following to trigger a full Group Policy update rather than a differential update

gpupdate /force

If UAC is enabled, running GPResult without elevating the command prompt will only show you the user settings. If you want to see both user and computer settings, elevate the command prompt by either tapping the winkey+cmd then ctrl+shift+enter or right click on the command prompt and select run as administrator.

For diagnosing policies applied to a machine, please refer to the following link for more information:

https://blog.thesysadmins.co.uk/group-policy-gpresult-examples.html

Hope these can help you.

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Friday, May 17, 2019 8:21 AM
  • No effect, still access denied.

I anyway think this is not a GP/WMI problem, as bcdedit is affected too.

Friday, May 17, 2019 1:27 PM
  • Hi,

How about using process monitor to solve this issue?

More information please refer to the following article:

https://improve.dk/solving-access-denied-errors-using-process-monitor/

Note: This is a third-party link and we do not have any guarantees on this website. And Microsoft does not make any guarantees about the content.

Best regards,

Farena

If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Monday, May 20, 2019 7:54 AM
  • I have tried with procmon but when setting a filter on the gpresults or bcdedit process I don't see any errors.
    Thursday, May 23, 2019 10:30 AM
  • Hi,

To help you better, I suggest you submit a new case on GPO forum as they will be more professional on your issue:

https://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/home?forum=winserverGP

The reason why we recommend posting appropriately is you will get the most qualified pool of respondents, and other partners who read the forums regularly can either share their knowledge or learn from your interaction with us.  Thank you for your understanding.

Monday, May 27, 2019 8:55 AM
  • As bcdedit is also affected I think the problem is not only related to GPO.

Any more thoughts?

Monday, June 24, 2019 12:03 PM
  • Figured it out. I had three corrupt GPOs. I had to create new empty ones and configured them with the same settings. A copy of the corrupt GPOs did not fix the problem.

I found out with disabling links for one after another which took quite some time.

Tuesday, December 3, 2019 3:50 PM