none
Current vs. Baseline - what is Current for? RRS feed

• Question

• Hello all,

could anyone tell me please what is "Current" for?

I know that baseline is a copy of current, but couldn't we gather the data directly in baseline and leave current out?

I can't grasp the logic behind it.

Hope my question is clear.

Thanks in advance for any explanation and help.

Greetings

John

Friday, April 20, 2018 6:01 PM

All replies

• Where are you seeing "Current Baseline"?

When a baseline is saved it is "baseline" or "baseline 0" or the current baseline.   All the view out-of-box use baseline or current (save) baseline.

Michael Wharton, Project MVP, MBA, PMP and a Great Guy <br/> Website http://www.WhartonComputer.com <br/> Blog http://MyProjectExpert.com contains my field notes and SQL queries

Friday, April 20, 2018 7:34 PM
  • Thanks for your reply!

No, I don't mean "Current Baseline". What I mean is the following:

When you create a blank mpp project file, it opens and shows the Gantt-diagram view with the Entry-table, which has no data.

Now we enter via this view some tasks with taskname, start, finish. If we change now to the baseline table, we see that start, finish columns do not have values.

After we set the baseline (PROJECT >> Set Baseline) the values from current get copied to the baseline table. Now we are able to compare actual against the baseline. Right till here?

So my question is: why doesn't define MS Project the initially entered data automatically as baseline? And what is the use of the initially entered data after we set the baseline. The data are copied to the baseline table, or not?

Another question: What is the use of the initially entered data after we entered the actual start, finish?

I'm somehow confused about these three (current, actual, baseline). I hope you can help me.

Thanks!

• Edited by John20000 Friday, April 20, 2018 10:40 PM
    Friday, April 20, 2018 10:40 PM