How do I open my Windows 10 computer when I have forgotten my password? RRS feed

• Question

• I upgraded my Windows 7 laptop to Windows 10, and also set the fingerprint to login system. But now when I swipe my finger on the fingerprint sensor to open my laptop, it doesn’t response. And then I switch it to the traditional password login option, but what upset me is that I forgot my login password too that I have a long time didn’t use it. How can I open my Windows 10 computer when forgotten password? Please help! Thank you in advance.

Monday, March 20, 2017 4:03 PM

Answers

• Besides the Fingerprint, what are the other sign-in options you use to get into your computer? Such as Microsoft account, local account, PIN code or Picture password.

If you are locked out of Windows 10 computer forgot local account password, you may need to reset your Windows 10 forgotten password with a password reset disk.

• Go to the logon screen, enter any incorrect password, press Enter.
    • Click on OK.
    • And then click on “Reset password”.
    • Insert the password reset disk, and follow the instructions to set a new password to login computer.

If you forgot your Microsoft account password and locked out of your Windows 10 computer.

• Go to an accessible computer with internet connected.
    • Open any Microsoft web site, click on Sign in.
    • Enter your Microsoft account which is used to login computer and click on Next.
    • Click on "Forgot my password" link and follow the instructions to recover your Microsoft account password.

Besides the options above, you can also try with your PIN code or Picture password if you have one.

Hope this tips are helpful for you, good luck!

• Marked as answer by MyMarks Wednesday, March 22, 2017 1:58 AM
    • Edited by imJosephs Friday, March 31, 2017 1:33 AM
    Tuesday, March 21, 2017 2:21 AM
  • Really appreciated for all of your answers, I enable the built-in administrator account, and get into my laptop finally.   

• Marked as answer by MyMarks Wednesday, March 22, 2017 1:59 AM
    Wednesday, March 22, 2017 1:58 AM

All replies

• Besides the Fingerprint, what are the other sign-in options you use to get into your computer? Such as Microsoft account, local account, PIN code or Picture password.

If you are locked out of Windows 10 computer forgot local account password, you may need to reset your Windows 10 forgotten password with a password reset disk.

• Go to the logon screen, enter any incorrect password, press Enter.
    • Click on OK.
    • And then click on “Reset password”.
    • Insert the password reset disk, and follow the instructions to set a new password to login computer.

If you forgot your Microsoft account password and locked out of your Windows 10 computer.

• Go to an accessible computer with internet connected.
    • Open any Microsoft web site, click on Sign in.
    • Enter your Microsoft account which is used to login computer and click on Next.
    • Click on "Forgot my password" link and follow the instructions to recover your Microsoft account password.

Besides the options above, you can also try with your PIN code or Picture password if you have one.

Hope this tips are helpful for you, good luck!

• Marked as answer by MyMarks Wednesday, March 22, 2017 1:58 AM
    • Edited by imJosephs Friday, March 31, 2017 1:33 AM
    Tuesday, March 21, 2017 2:21 AM
  • Dear imJosephs,

I am really appreciated for your answer. I login my computer with Microsoft account. I follow your instructions above to recover my Microsoft account password, but failed to verify my account. The information I used to apply my Microsoft account is stored on my locked laptop, so I can’t get it to recover my password. Any other methods? Thank you in advance.

Tuesday, March 21, 2017 3:40 AM
  • Hi,

Do you have any other information which can be used to verify Microsoft Account? Such as an external email or a telephone number?

If you’ve registered an external email or a cellphone number with your account, you can receive a code which will pop your account open without any extra hassle.

Best Regards,

Tao

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help. If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Tuesday, March 21, 2017 9:48 AM
  • Really appreciated for all of your answers, I enable the built-in administrator account, and get into my laptop finally.   

• Marked as answer by MyMarks Wednesday, March 22, 2017 1:59 AM
    Wednesday, March 22, 2017 1:58 AM