Slow transfer between the WD 500GB drives RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

I have Window 7 professional and Intel i3.  Internal HD speed – 7200. Trying copying the heavy files from one external hard drive WD 500GB (USB 3/2) to ultra WD 500GB (USB 3/2).

The transfers usually starts fast (showing for, example 4 min for a file around 4GB) but then becoming extremely slow – up to 320KB/sec – which corresponds to a couple of ours for said file.

Please advise if anything could be done to increase the speed of the transfers.

Thanks

Thursday, September 18, 2014 6:27 AM

All replies

• i suggest copy file to your PC and then you transfer to another external HDD

or made one of that HDD as secondary HDD using sata connection

• Edited by britishdhez Thursday, September 18, 2014 7:43 AM
    • Proposed as answer by Yolanda Zhu Friday, September 19, 2014 6:37 AM
    Thursday, September 18, 2014 7:43 AM
  • Could you give me the make and model of the two WD external drives? Also, what is the make and model of your motherboard on your computer? Then lastly, are you using a USB 3.0 cable?
    Thursday, September 18, 2014 3:03 PM
  • Thank you. I'll try.
    Thursday, September 18, 2014 6:18 PM
  • Hello Matthew,

Well the first one - is My Passport 500GB (two years old) and the second HD - is also My Passport Ultra 500GB (the new one)

The computer  - Pavilon dv6-3147sb.

Would appreciate the suggestions.

Thank you.

Vitaly

Thursday, September 18, 2014 6:23 PM
  • Hi,

Meanwhile, Fragmentation, disk errors, out of date drivers, anti-virus software scanning and even other USB devices connected to the computer can all have a negative impact on the transfer speed, you can take these problems into consideration. 

Yolanda Zhu
    TechNet Community Support

Friday, September 19, 2014 6:43 AM