none
Tape backup archive plan RRS feed

• Question

• Hello,

I am setting up Disk to Disk to Tape backups using DPM 2010.

I currently have two PG's setup for short term Disk protection with 30 days recovery points.

When i choose long term Tape protection with 1 month retention range and a backup frequency of monthly, will the monthly Tape backup capture the 30 days of recovery points stored in the Disk replica volume? Or will it only include one recovery point for the day that it runs?

I am planning on archiving the monthly tape set offsite (forever) and would like to have recovery points for each day of the month, while also minimising Tape usage. The current data being protected is 2.8 TB and fits on two LTO-5 tapes.

Or would i be better off setting up short-term protection to Tape, so i can capture incrementals each day and then archive this tape set offsite?

Thank you

Keatho

Friday, August 19, 2011 6:35 AM

Answers

• Hello Keatho,

This article should help you out:
    http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ff653494.aspx

If the application doesn't support incremental backups then a full will be performed.

Regards, Chuck Whitson This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.
    Monday, August 22, 2011 1:00 PM

All replies

• Hello Keatho,

For D-D-T, DPM performs a backup to tape by mounting the latest disk recovery point and writing it to tape. Short term protection to tape will not minimize tape usage because it is essentially a full backup.

Regards, Chuck Whitson This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.
    Friday, August 19, 2011 7:58 PM
  • Hi Chuck,

So is DPM able to do Full and Incrementals to tape? So i can just have a single full on tape and 30 days of incrementals for the month.

Or if i want daily recovery points on tape, will i be sending a full backup to tape every night? This will result in a large amount of tapes needed.

Thanks,

Keatho

Monday, August 22, 2011 3:03 AM
  • Hello Keatho,

This article should help you out:
    http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ff653494.aspx

If the application doesn't support incremental backups then a full will be performed.

Monday, August 22, 2011 1:00 PM