none
DPM was unable to access the file/folder(DPM 2012) when attempting to write to tape. RRS feed

• Question

• Hello,

I have ground to a halt with my DPM installations as I am getting a number of errors which I cannot seem to resolve ,of these (the most common) is that all my backups to Tape fail with 'DPM was unable to access the file/folder' ... (various folders and files)

The simplest setup is server a and b

A = windows server 2012 file server (dedup on)

B = windows server (DPM2012) (dedupe roll installed)

I can create the disc backups from A to B , but anytime I try and write a tape backup I get..

I am backing up a volume ,  not a share since I believe that backs up the data in a deduped state.

------------
    Type: Tape backup
    Description: The Operation failed since DPM was unable to access the file/folder \\?\GLOBALROOT\Device\HarddiskVolumeShadowCopy781\7bf75a1a-12b4-4ffe-ad85-7aceaf3ac530\Full\STAFF\wwonka\Health fair templates_A3.docx on  a.me.com. This could be due to the file/folder being corrupt or the file system on the volume being corrupt. (ID 2036 Details: The file or directory is corrupted and unreadable (0x80070570))
     More information
    End time: 28/08/2014 06:08:23
    Start time: 28/08/2014 06:06:20
    Time elapsed: 00:02:02
    Data transferred: 0 MB
    Cluster node -
    Source details: D:\
    Protection group: StaffData@a
    Library: TL2000-01
    Tape Label (Barcode): StaffData@a-00000001 (000001LT)

This is a corruption on the replica on the DPM server yes?,

Some say to run chkdsk on this volume, but I can't find this volume on server a. what would the chkdsk syntax be?

I have recreated volumes on the DPM server, recreated protection groups. etc.. but no progress..

Can anyone shed any light ?

Thank you.

D

• Edited by Davey.Young Thursday, August 28, 2014 7:21 AM
    Thursday, August 28, 2014 7:02 AM

All replies

• Hi,

Below table shows supported / unsupported configurations for dedup protection – make sure you are in a supported configuration.   If not, you will need to protect the volume in a non-deduped state by making a bogus folder on the root of the volume, modify the PG and deselect the bogus folder.  DPM will now protect the files in non-dedup state which will require more replica space.

Protected Server OS

DPM Server OS

DPM Versions

Dedup protection Supported

Windows 2012

Windows 2012

DPM 2012 SP1 / R2

Y

Windows 2012

Windows 2012 R2

DPM 2012 R2

Y

Windows 2012 R2

Windows 2012 R2

DPM 2012 R2

Y

Windows 2012 R2

Windows 2012

DPM 2012 SP1 / R2

N

Windows 2012 R2

Windows 2012 R2

DPM 2012 SP1

N

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread. Regards, Mike J. [MSFT] This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.

Thursday, August 28, 2014 5:40 PM