none
Hyper V - Windows Cluster - Active Active & Active Passive

Question

• Hi,

I would like to know how what is active active cluster and what is active passive cluster and how to configure active active  & active passive cluster on Hyper V.

Further i would like to know what are key components in both cluster type and what is the architecture of active active and active passive cluster.

Thanks 

Wednesday, February 8, 2017 5:30 PM

All replies

• Windows Failover Clustering is active/active/active/active/... In other words, any node can be active at any time. This has been the model of Windows clustering since Windows NT Server WolfPack.  Active/passive means that the passive node does not participate in the cluster until the active node fails.  That is a really old style of clustering that went out of vogue years ago.

There are multiple ways to configure a cluster with Hyper-V.  All those ways have been documented, many with step-by-step instructions, on TechNet or in blogs.  Your favorite search engine will be able to point you to a lot of places to get detailed help.

You can create Hyper-V clusters with SAN storage, SMB storage, shared SAS shelves, or even local storage with Storage Spaces Direct.  Or you can use a third party software package to provide shared storage.  That is the key to clustering.  Storage is shared among the nodes, allowing any node in the cluster to access the storage so that when a virtual machine moves from one node of a cluster to another, the storage does not move.

Here is an article that is a little dated, but it gives a good overview of Microsoft Clustering - https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/hh831579(v=ws.11).aspx  Clustering can support a lot of different roles.  Hyper-V is just one of those roles.

. : | : . : | : . tim

Wednesday, February 8, 2017 7:15 PM
  • Hi Tim,

Thanks for your answer.

Actually what i am looking is Active Active clustering architecture.

Thanks

Sunday, February 12, 2017 12:33 PM
  • i sure would like to now step by step instruction and i am also mentaly chalanged i use all the help i can get thank you your blessing 

Sunday, February 12, 2017 1:09 PM
  • Hi Tim,

Thanks for  answer.iapreciate you god bless have blessed day
    Actually what i am looking is Active Active clustering architecture.

Thanks

Sunday, February 12, 2017 1:15 PM
  • Hi,

You could mark the reply as answer if it is helpful.
    Best Regards,
    Leo

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Monday, February 13, 2017 4:13 AM
  • Did you read the link to obtain a background understanding on what a cluster is and how it works?  If so, the next step is to determine the type of storage you will be using.  Step-by-step instructions are unique for each type of storage.  Yes, there are many similarities, but the step-by-step instructions for setting up and configuring the storage will obviously vary according to the type of storage used.  Once you have determined the type of storage you will be using, use your favorite search engine to search for 'step-by-step windows cluster <storage type>' and you will find articles to assist you.

. : | : . : | : . tim

Monday, February 13, 2017 1:29 PM
  • Storage Spaces Direct requires Datacenter licensing which might be a bit expensive.

As for 3rd party software you might take a look at HP VSA https://www.hpe.com/emea_europe/en/storage/storevirtual.html or Starwind https://www.starwindsoftware.com/starwind-virtual-san-free. Both of them have also free versions and Starwind Free is allowed for production use.

• Edited by Taras Shved Tuesday, February 14, 2017 12:21 PM
    Tuesday, February 14, 2017 12:21 PM