none
Secondary DPM server in a DR scenario RRS feed

• Question

• This is a theoretical question, say you have a Primary DPM onsite and a secondary one offsite. One day a volcano erupts and destroys the primary site along with all the Domain controllers - now we have a secondary DPM with everything backed up but no domain controller, I asume it will not function in this case? So it's safe to assume you will also need a domain controller as well as the secondary DPM in the offsite location to still be able to restore in this scenario right?
    Friday, March 16, 2012 3:33 AM

Answers

• Hi,

Don't know why he/she says that it is not possible to backup DC's. It is possible with DPM to backup Domain Controllers by using System State backup. But it is not possible to restore a single object, only restoring complete backup of AD is possible. For item level recovery you could implement the AD recycle bin. But the availability of the recycle bin depends on which server version you are running.

Kind regards,

Bart Timmermans

Bart Timmermans | Technical Consultant at KPN Consulting
    Follow me @ My Blog | Linkedin | Twitter

Please mark as Answer, if my post answers your Question. Vote as Helpful, if it is helpful to you.

Sunday, March 18, 2012 9:24 PM

All replies

• Yes, it better have an AD at your secondary sites. But I've tried restoring BMR without AD connection and it works, but I don't think MS recommend it.

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread. Krisna Ismayanto | My blogs: Krisna Ismayanto | Twitter: @ikrisna

Friday, March 16, 2012 5:43 AM
  • This is a theoretical question, say you have a Primary DPM onsite and a secondary one offsite. One day a volcano erupts and destroys the primary site along with all the Domain controllers - now we have a secondary DPM with everything backed up but no domain controller, I asume it will not function in this case? So it's safe to assume you will also need a domain controller as well as the secondary DPM in the offsite location to still be able to restore in this scenario right?

Hello,

Have a look at this thread. It will give you some insight on this scenario.

http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/dpmdrbackup/thread/f61e6f45-fe34-4fec-b751-9aee8042e44d

My Blog | www.buchatech.com | www.dpm2010.com

If you found this post helpful, please give it a "Helpful" vote. If it answered your question, remember to mark it as an "Answer". This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties and confers no rights! Always test ANY suggestion in a test environment before implementing!

Friday, March 16, 2012 5:45 AM
  • OK thanks for that, it pretty much answers my question, but leads to one more - one person in that thread commented that you cannot backup DCs with DPM is that true?? That's a pretty major problem if so - just about any other backup solution can do that - why would MS cripple their product by making it unable to backup such an important part of any MS network?
    Sunday, March 18, 2012 8:31 PM
  • Hi,

Don't know why he/she says that it is not possible to backup DC's. It is possible with DPM to backup Domain Controllers by using System State backup. But it is not possible to restore a single object, only restoring complete backup of AD is possible. For item level recovery you could implement the AD recycle bin. But the availability of the recycle bin depends on which server version you are running.

Kind regards,

Bart Timmermans

Bart Timmermans | Technical Consultant at KPN Consulting
    Follow me @ My Blog | Linkedin | Twitter

Please mark as Answer, if my post answers your Question. Vote as Helpful, if it is helpful to you.

Sunday, March 18, 2012 9:24 PM
  • OK thanks for that, it pretty much answers my question, but leads to one more - one person in that thread commented that you cannot backup DCs with DPM is that true?? That's a pretty major problem if so - just about any other backup solution can do that - why would MS cripple their product by making it unable to backup such an important part of any MS network?

Bart is correct.

You can backup a DC with DPM. You can protect the DC using BMR and restore it from there.

My Blog | www.buchatech.com | www.dpm2010.com If you found this post helpful, please give it a "Helpful" vote. If it answered your question, remember to mark it as an "Answer". This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties and confers no rights! Always test ANY suggestion in a test environment before implementing!

Sunday, March 18, 2012 9:56 PM