Sending encrypted files thru Outlook 2013 not working RRS feed

• Question

• Hi there!

-Outlook 2013 x64 (with all the latest Windows updates), Windows 8.1 x64.
    -We use a certificate on a smart card.
    -Security settings properly configured

We sent an encrypted message and if we want to open that message in sent items, we recieve error:

Sorry, we're having trouble opening this item.
    This could be temporary, but if you see it again you might want to restart Outlook.
    Your Digital ID name cannot be found by the underlying security system.

We already tried:
    -with republishing cert to GAL
    -recreating Outlook profile
    -resetting Security settings in Outlook client

But nothing helps :(

On the server side we have EXCHANGE 2010 with latest updates.
    This weekend we have put SP3 on it (we have upgraded it from SP2 to SP3).
    We have also put cumulative update rollup 2 for SP3.

I don't know if that SP3 installation could be the reason for Outlook 2013 client having problem?
    Please help, with best regards

bostjanc

• Edited by B_C_R Monday, November 18, 2013 2:03 PM
    Monday, November 18, 2013 2:01 PM

Answers

• Hi,

No such known issues with Win 8.1+Outlook 2013 combination. At this point of time , I would suggest you to open phone support case with Microsoft as we need to study your environment correctly and collect logs and dumps which is not possible via Forum support.

To open phone support case with Microsoft, please contact customer central on 1-800-936-4900 or you can visit http://support.microsoft.com/oas to create new case

Hope this helps

Thanks

Friday, December 6, 2013 10:55 AM
    Answerer

All replies

• Hi,

When did you encounter this error? Was Encrypted Email working properly before?

When you click on the encrypted message from the Send Item folder, can you see anything from the reading pane?

Please try to tick the check box before the option “Send clear text signed message when sending signed messages” and then send an encrypted email to test the issue again.

In addition, try to get another Digital ID to test the issue again. To do this, click the Get a Digital ID button.

For more information, please refer to the following article:

http://blogs.msdn.com/b/mvpawardprogram/archive/2012/04/09/use-digital-ids-certificates-to-prove-your-identity-in-outlook-email-transactions.aspx

Best Regards,

Steve Fan

Forum Support

Come back and mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help.

If you have any feedback on our support, please click here

• Edited by Steve Fan Tuesday, November 19, 2013 12:53 PM
    • Marked as answer by Steve Fan Thursday, November 28, 2013 2:01 AM
    • Unmarked as answer by B_C_R Thursday, November 28, 2013 10:27 AM
    Tuesday, November 19, 2013 12:51 PM
  • Hi,

Just checking in to see if the information was helpful. Please let us know if you would like further assistance.

Best Regards,

Steve Fan

Forum Support

Come back and mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help.

Monday, November 25, 2013 9:14 AM
  • Hi,

I'm marking the reply as answer as there has been no update for a couple of days.

If you come back to find it doesn't work for you, please reply to us and unmark the answer.

Best Regards,

Steve Fan

Forum Support

Thursday, November 28, 2013 2:01 AM
  • Steve I have unmarked your answer. Sorry for long reply I have been very occupied the last few days.

Soo here's the story. Sending encryption has been working in past, but it has stopped.

For test purpouse I am able to sent a digitally signed message to myself.

I am also able to sent an encrypted and digitally signed message to myself.

But the problem appears if I go to sent items and try to view a test message sent. First I recieve:

Viewing is not possible. This item cannot be displayed in the Reading Pane. Open the items to read its contents. But If I double click a message to open it I recieve this message:

And I have sucessfully sent this message to myself just a few seconds ago and unable to view it?

bostjanc

Thursday, November 28, 2013 10:32 AM
  • I have a feeling that this problem is because client is using Windows 8.1.

Are there any known compatibility issue regarding encrpytion WIN 8.1 + OFFICE 2013 ?

bostjanc

Thursday, November 28, 2013 10:53 AM
  • Ok Windows 8 + Office 2013 combination Works.

Windows 8.1 + Office 2013 combination not working. So? Is this a known issue?

bostjanc

Thursday, November 28, 2013 11:07 AM
  • Hello,

Thank you for your response.

I am trying to involve someone familiar with this topic to further look at this issue. There might be some time delay. Appreciate your patience.

Thank you for your understanding and support.

Steve Fan

Forum Support

Tuesday, December 3, 2013 2:26 AM
  • Hi,

No such known issues with Win 8.1+Outlook 2013 combination. At this point of time , I would suggest you to open phone support case with Microsoft as we need to study your environment correctly and collect logs and dumps which is not possible via Forum support.

To open phone support case with Microsoft, please contact customer central on 1-800-936-4900 or you can visit http://support.microsoft.com/oas to create new case

Hope this helps

Thanks

Friday, December 6, 2013 10:55 AM
    Answerer
  • You might also want to check the Known Issues section of this update:
    http://support.microsoft.com/kb/2837618

After this update is applied, you may experience issues with S/MIME certificate verification in Microsoft Outlook. This issue occurs because the update disables remote intermediate certificate fetching in Outlook.

If you experience these issues, or if you are working in an enterprise installation that requires the retrieval of remote certificates referenced in an authority information access extension, a registry key can be set to enable remote intermediate certificate fetching in Outlook.

Robert Sparnaaij [MVP-Outlook]
    Outlook guides and more: HowTo-Outlook.com
    Outlook Quick Tips: MSOutlook.info

• Proposed as answer by Steve Fan Tuesday, December 10, 2013 1:16 AM
    Friday, December 6, 2013 2:44 PM