none
SCOM 1807 Web Console: Web Topology widget menu is empty RRS feed

• Question

• Hi !

A strange issue I've met with.

I wanted to add a web topology widget in an existing web dashboard, with customized background based on a picture we've been previously made.So I pushed a button "Add a picture" (or so, I can't say to you clear) and pointed to the file, then I was waiting for 5 minutes or so, but nothing has happened. I reloaded a whole page to try creating similar widget again, but I ocasionally faced with a very strange issue - a "Topology widget" menu has no elements to choice , a blank screen only. Same with other web dashboards, I can't add Topology Widget due to the empty menu - no options in at all.

I have deleted already Microsoft.SystemCenter.Visualization.Component.Library.Resources MP, but  it doesn't help either.

What is wrong ?

How can I resolve it ? 

I haven't seen similar issues here , that's why I ask. 

Thanks in advance

Wednesday, September 11, 2019 9:54 AM

All replies

• Hello Andrew,

This is an odd one indeed, I cannot test this right now in my SCOM 1807 lab as I don't have it with me.

I did however perform a similar in SCOM 2019 and it worked just fine, however when clicking "Add image" it did take up to 1 minute before the picture was added.

Could you provide some details about the background picture?

• Which picture format?
    • What size is the file?
    • What resolution is the background?

Are you running with a user that is member of the SCOM administrator or not?

Can you see anything in the Operations Manager event log?

Are you performing this on a remote computer or on the server where the SCOM Web Console is installed?

In worst case scenario, you could try reinstalling the SCOM Web Console feature.

Best regards,
    Leon

Blog: https://thesystemcenterblog.com LinkedIn:

Wednesday, September 11, 2019 11:05 AM

• Hi, Leon !

Thanks for an answer, so I will try to provide to you all the details 8(

I worked as a SCOM Administrator.

I performed it from a remote server.

All parameters corresponed to the picture: JPG type, 1120x686 , 111 Kb

And WOW ! About the OpsMgr log , that is the point. I caught there two error events, they  started to appear right after the issue had raised. -

ID 29181

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

OpsMgr Management Configuration Service failed to execute 'GetNextWorkItem' engine work item due to the following exception

Microsoft.EnterpriseManagement.ManagementConfiguration.DataAccessLayer.DataAccessOperationTimeoutException: Exception of type 'Microsoft.EnterpriseManagement.ManagementConfiguration.DataAccessLayer.DataAccessOperationTimeoutException' was thrown.
       at Microsoft.EnterpriseManagement.ManagementConfiguration.DataAccessLayer.DataAccessOperation.ExecuteSynchronously(Int32 timeoutSeconds, WaitHandle stopWaitHandle)
       at Microsoft.EnterpriseManagement.ManagementConfiguration.SqlConfigurationStore.ConfigurationStore.ExecuteOperationSynchronously(IDataAccessConnectedOperation operation, String operationName)
       at Microsoft.EnterpriseManagement.ManagementConfiguration.SqlConfigurationStore.ConfigurationStore.GetNextWorkItem(IEnumerable`1 workItemDescriptorList)
       at Microsoft.EnterpriseManagement.ManagementConfiguration.Engine.SharedWorkItemFactory.CreateFactorySpecificWorkItem()
       at Microsoft.EnterpriseManagement.ManagementConfiguration.Engine.WorkItemFactory.CreateWorkItem()
       at Microsoft.EnterpriseManagement.ManagementConfiguration.Engine.WorkItemManager.TryGetNextWorkItem(IConfigServiceEngineWorkItem& workItem)
       at Microsoft.EnterpriseManagement.ManagementConfiguration.Engine.WorkItemManager.GetNextWorkItem()
       at Microsoft.EnterpriseManagement.ManagementConfiguration.Engine.ConfigServiceEngine.EngineMainThread()

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

and ID 26319

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

An exception was thrown while processing GetResourceDataById for session ID uuid:b422730d-73e9-41c6-a7ab-8f0e0657ec08;id=15.
     Exception message: Class Instance ManagementPackResource with ID f7924801-fa01-55c7-2758-fbc9882c107e has not found.
     Full Exception: Microsoft.EnterpriseManagement.Common.ObjectNotFoundException: Class Instance ManagementPackResource with ID f7924801-fa01-55c7-2758-fbc9882c107e has not found.
       at Microsoft.EnterpriseManagement.ServiceDataLayer.ResourceService.GetResourceDataById(Guid resourceId)

Those two repeated each time I try to create a  Topology Web Widget

Well, I will google it 8) to get things ordered, but couldn't you be so kind and give me some explanation about ?

Sincerely yours

Wednesday, September 11, 2019 11:30 AM
  • Forgot to ask, from where is the picture taken? Is the picture located on a remote share or locally on some server?

Test #1

• I am a member of the SCOM administrators.
    • I performed locally on the SCOM management server.
    • The picture was located on the SCOM management server.
    • The picture format was .jpg and the size was 10kb and resolution 852x480

Result: Successful

Test #2

• I am a member of the SCOM administrators.
    • I performed remotely from a Windows 10 computer (Microsoft Edge browser).
    • The picture was located on on the Windows 10 computer (remotely from the SCOM management server).
    • The picture format was .jpg and the size was 2.32MB and resolution 1000x665.

Result: Successful

I did receive the same same error (event ID 26319) as you though on the SCOM management server while performing Test #2, but adding the image took maybe between 5-7 minutes, but in the end it added successfully.

Another thing to point out is that I have not enabled any firewalls or installed any antivirus software in my lab environment.

Wednesday, September 11, 2019 11:56 AM

• Hi Leon !

In my case, picture was on the remote server (like in the Test #2 env.)

There are no antiviruses on SCOM servers . Also there were no firewall issues during work (yes, a firewall presents, but  traffic on all TCP and UDP ports is enabled.)

Wednesday, September 11, 2019 12:11 PM
  • Wow.

Based on your info I suppose that I  cut uploading the picture on server, when I reloaded the web page 8(((

Supposedly that might be a root of the issue, that I have  ID which does connected to any object 8(

Am I right ?

Wednesday, September 11, 2019 12:17 PM
  • Hi again !

Additional exploration was performed.

Usually I use Chrome for browsing. So I open in the empty menu "topology widget" , push F12 ..en voila - I catch the error

Failed to load resource: the server responded with a status of 400 (Bad Request) /OperationsManager/data/topologyImages:1 

When I click on url  under the last part of the message above, I've got a lot of info where I noticed the next -

An object of class ManagementPackResource with ID f7924801-fa01-55c7-2758-fbc9882c107e was not found.

Well, the point is in the absent picture, for sure. 

How can I put it in order ? I see no way to do it.

Any advice would be appreciate.

Wednesday, September 11, 2019 12:32 PM
  • Try deleting the dashboard and re-create it, and then try adding an image again, give it as much time as it needs and check if it succeeds or not.

Try with a low resolution and small sized image.

Wednesday, September 11, 2019 1:42 PM
  • I've done it already.

I have completely deleted the dashboard and create it again.

I even deleted a MP where the dashboard is stored and re-created it.

No luck. The "Topology widget" menu still stays empty in spite of my efforts 8(

Wednesday, September 11, 2019 1:54 PM
  • Just tested in my SCOM 1807 lab environment, and another SCOM 2019 environment and both works fine.

I noticed the error event ID 26319 still appear but it doesn't seem to affect this somehow.

I also noticed that when putting more pressure on the SCOM management server, where I have the web console installed and the SCOM database & data warehouse it did take some time to add an image.

You could check your server that is running the SCOM web console and the server running the SCOM database (if they are separate) for any performance issues.

Have you also tried reinstalling the SCOM Web Console feature?

Wednesday, September 11, 2019 5:04 PM
  • Hi Andrew,

From the error message you provided, it seems the resource id “f7924801-fa01-55c7-2758-fbc9882c107e” in resource table has some problem

==============================================================

An exception was thrown while processing GetResourceDataById for session ID uuid:b422730d-73e9-41c6-a7ab-8f0e0657ec08;id=15.
     Exception message: Class Instance ManagementPackResource with ID f7924801-fa01-55c7-2758-fbc9882c107e has not found.
     Full Exception: Microsoft.EnterpriseManagement.Common.ObjectNotFoundException: Class Instance ManagementPackResource with ID f7924801-fa01-55c7-2758-fbc9882c107e has not found.
       at Microsoft.EnterpriseManagement.ServiceDataLayer.ResourceService.GetResourceDataById(Guid resourceId)

==============================================================

We can query the resource id on SCOM database to see which ManagementPackID it points:

select * from resource where resourceid='f7924801-fa01-55c7-2758-fbc9882c107e’

And then, run the following command to find out which is the affected MP

select * from dbo.managementpackhistory where managementpackid=<the MP id get from the above command>

Meanwhile, you can also try to restart the Operation manager server, SQL server, Web server to see if it is working.

Please check the above information and if any update, please let us know.

Best regards.

Crystal

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Thursday, September 12, 2019 4:53 AM
  • Hi Crystal !

We've restarted OpsManager server where Web server is hosted as well as SQL . No luck at all.

We've found already MP affected with the object, but it is not clear to us what do we have to do next with the info. Could you be so kind to explain it ?

Cheers

Andrew

Tuesday, September 17, 2019 6:24 AM
  • If you know which management pack that may cause issues, you can try removing it and then test again to check if the issue persists.

Tuesday, September 17, 2019 6:26 AM
  • Thanks Leon ! 

We have done it already . It didn't help. 

Tuesday, September 17, 2019 6:39 AM
  • Did you try completely reinstalling the SCOM web console feature?

Tuesday, September 17, 2019 6:41 AM
  • No, of course not.

We have a lot web dashboards used by another company's divisions, so that it would be a complicate task 8(

Tuesday, September 17, 2019 6:46 AM
  • Could you test if this behavior occurs locally on the SCOM management servers?

Tuesday, September 17, 2019 7:08 AM
  • Yes, we can.

I am going to write about results

Tuesday, September 17, 2019 7:43 AM
  • The behavior is similar regardless of the server. 8(

Well.

Thanks for your efforts buddies, you've helped me a lot, but I see no clear decision . We will dig it out  by our own to find the root 8) , so that I inform you if we realize where "the hole is" 8)

Tuesday, September 17, 2019 8:25 AM