none
Active tab url can't be obtained using Accessibility Interface (MSAA) on several boxes RRS feed

  • Question

  • I am working on project which helps end user to create daily reports by tracking it's activity.

    To track activity in IE browser application uses accessibility interface (MSAA). 

    In brief, tracking works the following way:

    1. App searches for all child windows of IE browser which have "Internet Explorer_Server" window class (tab documents windows)
    2. Gets IAccessible object by window handle.
    3. Gets name of the IAccessible object which represents URL of the document loaded for this tab

    Everything works fine for most of users. But several users reported that IE tracking doesn't work for them.

    Nothing fails, but empty string is always returned as name of the IAccessible object (document).

    I checked that URL can be obtained using UIAutomation API (I used Inspect.exe tool), but for some reason the name is always empty for this element when MSAA api is used.

    Note that the issue is reproduced for these users even when AntiVirus software is turned off and with all IE Add-ons disabled.

    Could you please clarify if there are any security settings which can control this behavior?

    IE version: 9.0.8112.16421
    WIndows version: 6.1.7601.65536

    Note: I tried unsuccessfully to reproduce this issue on the VM box using the same version of the Windows and IE. I also tried to use the same Anti virus system and several IE add-ons without success.

    Note2: Application has valid signature. I also tried to set UIAccess=true in application manifest. It doesn't help.




    • Edited by Max Kornilov Wednesday, November 12, 2014 3:34 PM Improved formatting
    Wednesday, November 12, 2014 3:28 PM

Answers

  • The issue was fixed after KB3003057 Cumulative Security Update for Internet Explorer 9 was installed.
    • Marked as answer by Max Kornilov Monday, November 24, 2014 9:45 AM
    • Edited by Max Kornilov Monday, November 24, 2014 9:46 AM
    Monday, November 24, 2014 9:45 AM

All replies

  • Hi Max,

    Please post questions about web browser extensibility to the IE Extension development form.

    http://social.msdn.microsoft.com/Forums/ie/en-US/home?forum=ieextensiondevelopment

    What document modes are these URL's loading in......?

    f12 to display the developer tool...

    do these users have those URL's listed in the IE Compatibility View list?

    Regards.


    Rob^_^

    Wednesday, November 12, 2014 11:20 PM
  • Everything works fine for most of users. But several users reported that IE tracking doesn't work for them.


    Sounds like you need two otherwise identical traces to compare.  If no one has any better suggestion for that I would try ProcMon.

    BTW thanks for the hint about  inspect.exe.  First time I have been aware of it.   ; )



    Robert Aldwinckle
    ---

    Thursday, November 13, 2014 12:43 AM
    Answerer
  • The problem here is that nothing is failed. It really seems to have empty value. And currently I don't know what causes this. I have traces to compare. But they are not helpful, because the main difference is that name for document object is empty when MSAA accessibility API is used.
    Thursday, November 13, 2014 4:55 PM
  • Hi,

    Like Rob said, please ask this problem in MSDN forum for more professional help:

    https://social.msdn.microsoft.com/Forums/sqlserver/en-US/home?forum=windowsaccessibilityandautomation

    The reason why we recommend posting appropriately is you will get the most qualified pool of respondents, and other partners who read the forums regularly can either share their knowledge or learn from your interaction with us. Thank you for your understanding.


    Karen Hu
    TechNet Community Support

    Friday, November 14, 2014 5:42 AM
    Moderator
  • have traces to compare. But they are not helpful, because the main difference is that name for document object is empty when MSAA accessibility API is used.
    Too bad.  Sounds like it is optimized.  Often we can get clues about the logic flow from RegQueryValue.


    Robert Aldwinckle
    ---

    Friday, November 14, 2014 1:29 PM
    Answerer
  • The issue was fixed after KB3003057 Cumulative Security Update for Internet Explorer 9 was installed.
    • Marked as answer by Max Kornilov Monday, November 24, 2014 9:45 AM
    • Edited by Max Kornilov Monday, November 24, 2014 9:46 AM
    Monday, November 24, 2014 9:45 AM