Would like to reposition the Start Button menu when I have the Windows Taskbar on the left RRS feed

• Question

• Currently, when I have the Taskbar on the left side of the screen, when I open the Start Menu, the menu covers much of the Taskbar instead of being to the side of it.  Is there a regular setting, or a registry edit that I can use to move the opening position of the Start Menu?  I'll be looking for a solution as well.
    Wednesday, February 2, 2011 8:42 PM

Answers

• Hi,

There is no offically supported option to this within Windows. However, there may be third-party options that are able to do this.

Regards,

Luke

• Proposed as answer by Niki Han Tuesday, February 8, 2011 9:12 AM
    • Marked as answer by Vivian Xing Tuesday, February 15, 2011 1:45 AM
    Thursday, February 3, 2011 11:01 AM
  • Hi,

As far as I know, this cannot be changed.

Regards,

Niki

Please remember to click "Mark as Answer" on the post that helps you, and to click "Unmark as Answer" if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.
    Tuesday, February 8, 2011 9:13 AM

All replies

• Hi,

There is no offically supported option to this within Windows. However, there may be third-party options that are able to do this.

Regards,

Luke

• Proposed as answer by Niki Han Tuesday, February 8, 2011 9:12 AM
    Thursday, February 3, 2011 11:01 AM
  • I've been looking through the registry and through searches, and although I've found similar complaints about the Start Menu obscuring the taskbar when the taskbar is on the side, and seen interesting things in the registry, I haven't found a specific solution to this yet.

Thursday, February 3, 2011 7:50 PM
  • Hi,

It's definitely not impossible, but as I mentioned there is no officially supported way (that I know of). So I doubt you will find anything in the registry. I have done a quick search and have not found any applications on the internet that would suit your needs; maybe you can find a programmer to make something this this for you? That would be my only suggestion, sorry.

Luke

Thursday, February 3, 2011 9:31 PM
  • This is one that would be of benefit for Microsoft to address.  It affects the user experience more often than realized.  With wide-screens prevalent today, folks are more likely to be moving their taskbar to a different position than the bottom.
    Sunday, February 6, 2011 3:24 AM
  • Can I ask what reasons you have for needing to see the taskbar while the start menu is open? ie: How is this affecting you? (just curious)

Thanks,

Luke

Sunday, February 6, 2011 5:07 AM
  • In MY case (others might have different experiences.), it's 'extra clicks'.  I might be coming out of a full screen program via the Windows button (using that as it was convenient before the move) and want to access a different program that's already open.

When the taskbar is at the bottom, this series of tasks is quicker, fewer mouse clicks and potential misclicks.  When the taskbar is at the side, (moved to the side to enable other tasks), this 'menu obscures' issue is introduced.

There's an instruction somewhere in Windows that tells the Start Menu to open at 'x and y', and it changes with the taskbar, so it should be able to be altered for better functionality. 

So here's my 'momentary position', to satisfy curiousity.

Monday, February 7, 2011 10:29 PM
  • Hi,

As far as I know, this cannot be changed.

Regards,

Niki

Please remember to click "Mark as Answer" on the post that helps you, and to click "Unmark as Answer" if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.
    Tuesday, February 8, 2011 9:13 AM
  • I'm not able to reproduce this.  When I move my taskbar to the left side of my screen and open the Start menu, the menu opens where it touches, but does not overlap, the Taskbar.

If this was helpful, please vote by clicking the green triangle. If it solves the issue, click Propose as Answer. Thanks!
    Thursday, February 10, 2011 4:19 AM
  • Shawn, that IS interesting.  So if you measure your screen in pixels, left to right, and open your Start Menu with the taskbar on the left side, your Start Menu's left edge is NOT at pixel 0?  Its left edge starts where the taskbar's right edge ends? 
    Thursday, February 17, 2011 8:29 PM
  • Hey David,
    Looks like I'm either crazy or sleep deprived or both.  I've been sitting here for 10 minutes trying it on Windows XP, Vista, and 7: every case it seems to always display touching the edge of the screen, obscuring the actual taskbar, just as described.

Shawn Keene
    Thursday, February 17, 2011 8:41 PM
  • Get in contact with the people behind Classic Shell. http://classicshell.sourceforge.net/

Given how much many settings this program already have, it wouldn't surprise me if such feature could be added.

Give them this link, it makes it even easier to understand what you mean. http://www.windows7taskforce.com/view/2133

Friday, February 18, 2011 4:08 AM
  • Odd question for the update crew of Microsoft, but if this particular issue was addressed in an update, would it even be noted separately?

Thursday, April 7, 2011 8:19 PM
  • Just checking to see if anything new concerning this issue has been developed in the last few months.  I figure it will be more and more of a concern with the popularity of smaller widescreen laptops.  You're able to use more desktop space with the Taskbar to one side, but this issue with the menu covering the Taskbar is a real hindrance.
    Wednesday, August 24, 2011 4:25 PM