none
Windows 10 - 1809 - RSAT Toolset - error code of 0x800f0954 RRS feed

• Question

• Got the upgrade the 1809 this morning - trying to add the RSAT Toolset

Getting error code of Add-WindowsCapability failed. Error code = 0x800f0954

Does anyone know what this means and how to correct this?

Thanks in advanced

Wednesday, October 3, 2018 3:10 PM

Answers

• I found this answer in another thread. It worked for me!

Run "gpedit.msc" to edit your local computer policy The setting in question is: Computer Configuration\Administrative Templates\System\Specify settings for optional component installation and component repair

My local policy seems to have defaulted to "Disabled" - after changing it to "Enabled" and selecting the checkbox labeled "Download repair content and optional features directly from Windows Update instead of Windows Server Update Services (WSUS)" the RSAT tools installed for me.

• Marked as answer by sabo_e Wednesday, October 3, 2018 6:44 PM
    Wednesday, October 3, 2018 6:41 PM

All replies

• I have same problem. I tried installing from GUI and then from Admin PowerShell and received this message.
    Wednesday, October 3, 2018 3:34 PM
  • Same here. Tried DISM, Powershell and GUI, no luck enabling RSAT. What gives MS?
    Wednesday, October 3, 2018 3:42 PM
  • I was able to add the 'Active Directory Users and computers' with the following command:

DISM /online /add-capability /CapabilityName:Rsat.RemoteAccess.Management.Tools~~~~0.0.1.0

You an add other RSAT tools this way too.  Try

DISM /online /get-capabilities
    To see a list of the other tools that can be added this way.

Wednesday, October 3, 2018 4:00 PM
  • Hello,

Are you using WSUS in the environment?

If you are have you enabled it to host Features on Demand (FOD) content?

Thanks, Darrell Gorter [MSFT] This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.

Wednesday, October 3, 2018 6:15 PM
  • Hello,

Are you using WSUS in the environment?

If you are have you enabled it to host Features on Demand (FOD) content?

Thanks, Darrell Gorter [MSFT] This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.

Is WSUS the only way to get additional FOD content like Microsoft-Windows-SystemInsights-Management-Tools-FOD-Package~31bf3856ad364e35~amd64~~.cab for example? They have a nice list of .cab files that could be injected with DISM, but no direct download links to them..

Also in the case of RSAT, previously you could install the .MSU, but you'd had to *enable* the feature, this is not possible anymore since the installed FODs are always installed and visible, right?

Wednesday, October 3, 2018 6:23 PM

Run "gpedit.msc" to edit your local computer policy The setting in question is: Computer Configuration\Administrative Templates\System\Specify settings for optional component installation and component repair

My local policy seems to have defaulted to "Disabled" - after changing it to "Enabled" and selecting the checkbox labeled "Download repair content and optional features directly from Windows Update instead of Windows Server Update Services (WSUS)" the RSAT tools installed for me.

• Marked as answer by sabo_e Wednesday, October 3, 2018 6:44 PM
    Wednesday, October 3, 2018 6:41 PM
  • Thanks for all the feedback and great answers!
    Wednesday, October 3, 2018 6:44 PM
  • Hello,

You can get them via Windows Update.

There is or will be an ISO with the Features on Demand on MSDN or the Volume Licensing Portal.

I see it on MSDN download site, I do not see it on the Volume License download site yet.

Wednesday, October 3, 2018 6:47 PM
  • RSAT utility is/was a Win XP software,dought it still exist for Win 10..Try MSDN search,they created it 15 yrs ago.
    Wednesday, October 3, 2018 6:53 PM
  • RSAT utility is/was a Win XP software,dought it still exist for Win 10..Try MSDN search,they created it 15 yrs ago.

RSAT are the utilities to remotely manage Windows Server services.  They are post-XP and starting with Win10 1809 they changed how they get installed.

https://www.microsoft.com/en-US/download/details.aspx?id=45520

Wednesday, October 3, 2018 7:21 PM
  • Thnx, this fixed it for me
    Friday, October 5, 2018 8:52 AM
  • it worked for me.  Thanks a lot
    Wednesday, December 19, 2018 12:16 PM

Thanks! This did the trick for me!
    Friday, January 18, 2019 7:12 AM

saved my day. Thx a lot.

• Edited by ThoralfD Tuesday, January 22, 2019 8:29 AM
    Tuesday, January 22, 2019 8:27 AM
  • Another approach to the same workaround would be temporarily changing Computer\HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Policies\Microsoft\Windows\WindowsUpdate\AU\UseWUServer to 0 followed by a reboot and reverting the change after rsat installs.

Why is it necessary though?   Win10 1809 & FOD options are selected in the wsus products list on a fully updated Server 2012 instance, wsus synchronization successfully ran, rebooted 1809 client, but rsat installs still fail without the workaround.  Are these expected to fail by default in wsus environments?

Monday, February 11, 2019 5:51 PM
  • Another approach to the same workaround would be temporarily changing Computer\HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Policies\Microsoft\Windows\WindowsUpdate\AU\UseWUServer to 0 followed by a reboot and reverting the change after rsat installs.

Why is it necessary though?   Win10 1809 & FOD options are selected in the wsus products list on a fully updated Server 2012 instance, wsus synchronization successfully ran, rebooted 1809 client, but rsat installs still fail without the workaround.  Are these expected to fail by default in wsus environments?

Many thanks..... Worked for me, as didnt have the correct Configuration\Administrative Templates\System\Specify settings for optional component installation and component repair key in my local policy
    Thursday, February 28, 2019 2:07 PM
  • Thank you, had the same situation.
    Monday, March 18, 2019 9:04 AM
  • Thank you David.  I was on this issue most of the day!  yours is the only solution that worked!
    Tuesday, April 2, 2019 6:08 PM

I tried five different things to enable .NET 3.5 before this with no success, but the local group policy setting 'Computer Configuration\Administrative Templates\System\Specify settings for optional component installation and component repair' did the trick!

• Edited by Bikestar Thursday, April 18, 2019 7:03 PM
    Thursday, April 18, 2019 7:03 PM

You saved my day. Thank you very much.
    Monday, May 13, 2019 6:38 AM
  • I cannot see it - maybe i am looking for the wrong entry.

What is the name that it is listed under?

Tuesday, May 14, 2019 8:25 AM
  • From gpedit.msc navigate to:

Computer Configuration> Administrative Templates> System

Then Look for:  Specify settings for optional component installation and computer repair

Select radio button for:  Enabled

And enable check box for:   Windows Update instead of Windows Server Update Services (Windows Server Update Services)

Lastly run:  gpupdate /force

For my notes above you can use link as a reference:
    https://www.prajwaldesai.com/rsat-tools-installation-error-0x800f0954/
    Very clearly illustrated by Prajwal
    ...hope this helps

...did not work for, but I'm also going to check the registry setting at:
    Computer\HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Policies\Microsoft\Windows\WindowsUpdate\AU
    But it gets changed back when I run gpupdate /force
    Need to put it in OU without GP and test again....

Regards, Kurt

Tuesday, May 14, 2019 5:29 PM
  • Set-ItemProperty "REGISTRY::HKLM\Software\Policies\Microsoft\Windows\WindowsUpdate\AU" UseWUserver -value 0
    Get-Service wuauserv | Restart-Service
    Get-WindowsCapability -Online -Name RSAT*  | Add-WindowsCapability -Online
    Set-ItemProperty "REGISTRY::HKLM\Software\Policies\Microsoft\Windows\WindowsUpdate\AU" UseWUserver -value 1 
    For the PS savy ones.

-Raymond

Wednesday, May 15, 2019 12:08 PM
  • Raymone,

the gpedit.msc fix that seemed to work for many others in this thread didn't work for me.

However, the PS cmdlets you provided worked great! Thanks alot!

Tuesday, May 21, 2019 10:57 PM
  • This Powershell script worked for me. The "UseWUserver" setting is managed by group policy, so I could not simply change it and reboot my machine (which would set it back to the policy setting). This script did the trick. I did modify it to only install the RSAT tools I needed...

Add-WindowsCapability -Online -Name Rsat.ActiveDirectory.DS-LDS.Tools~~~~0.0.1.0
    Add-WindowsCapability -Online -Name Rsat.GroupPolicy.Management.Tools~~~~0.0.1.0
    Add-WindowsCapability -Online -Name Rsat.ServerManager.Tools.Rsat.GroupPolicy.Management.Tools
    Add-WindowsCapability -online -name Rsat.ServerManager.Tools~~~~0.0.1.0

• Edited by Tomcat47 Tuesday, May 28, 2019 3:50 PM
    Tuesday, May 28, 2019 3:49 PM
  • Thank you for this! Had my head baffled for an hour!!
    Wednesday, June 19, 2019 12:17 PM
  • This was the fix for me as well. Many thanks!
    Tuesday, July 2, 2019 8:33 PM
  • I was having the same issue on Win10 1903 Ent trying to install RSAT via Powershell. @David Hoeft suggestion worked for me.
    Wednesday, July 17, 2019 1:12 PM

This worked great!!

Robert

Wednesday, July 24, 2019 10:27 PM

This worked great!!

Robert

Wednesday, July 24, 2019 10:27 PM
  • This worked for me but instead of rebooting I restarted the Windows Update service and it allowed me to install RSAT. Group Policy would have written over my registry change upon reboot which is why the service restart is key.
    Tuesday, August 13, 2019 1:08 PM